• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lens help

I've been waiting for years to get back into a nice camera set up. I think I would like to pull the trigger but I need some help deciding which lens option would be best for my needs.

Looking at the Nikon D90 with the kit lens AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105 F3.5-5.6 ED VR. I figure this would be a good general purpose lens for shooting outdoors, letting my daughter and I play around (She's 14 and very good with a camera), toting in the boat etc. The lens is basically thrown in the package for about $200 above the camera body price.

Looking at a second lens:

My main use would be for photographing (probably hand held) both my girls doing two things: Horse shows in poorly lit indoor arenas such as the State Fair Coliseum etc. and sometimes, if we are lucky, a sunny outdoor arena. Second would be while they are playing basketball in your typical gymnasium. I would not want to use flash in either case.

Obviously I need speed for the poor lighting so my two considerations for the other lens are:

The AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200 F2.8 D ED which retails at $1,225 (Notice no stabilization)

Or, the AF-S Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 ED VRII which retails for $2,400 (notice the addition of vibration reduction for double the money.)

Help me decide on the VR option. Does it have drawbacks? I've heard it slows focus time down which would be bad for players or riders coming at me quickly, is that true? What lens would be best for my needs?

Thanks,

ccarlson

Congratulations to you on your camera choice. I am not a Nikon shooter so I can't offer insight on your first lens choice. As far as your second lens I could offer some advice.

I shoot primarily sports, which will have the same requirements of what you will be photographing. The 80-200 from what I have heard is a great Nikon bargain. Sharp, reasonably fast focus at half the price of the 70-200. Since you will be shooting at higher shutter speeds to capture and freeze action the need for VR will not be something you need. Save that money for a 1.4 teleconverter and stack that with your 80-200 for a bit more reach when shooting outdoors.

There has been a lot of debate on whether or not VR (or IS in my case) slows down your focus speeds. In my experience it does to a small degree. Enough for me to NEVER use it shooting fast action. Portraits, weddings, etc shot at slower shutter speeds the advantage of VR is more pronounced.

We have some fine Nikon shooters here who hopefully can chime in on these specific lenses and provide you with feedback.

I took the 18-105 from my D90, gave it to my wife and then sold her 18-55. It is a good little walk around lens, easy to carry, focuses realitively fast and is pretty sharp for a kit lens. Definitely worth keeping for awhile till you figure out what type of ahooting you really enjoy. As for the indoor stuff. There is also a Sigma 70-200 with OS (Sigma's name for VR). I have not shot this lens but it goes for around $1000 and received pretty good reviews for shooting sports vs the Tamron 70-200 VC. You may also want to take a look at the D7000, it replaced the D90 and I think it also comes with the 18-105 lens. Good luck with your choices.

This is exactly the input I needed. Thank you. I am hoping to be able to get the less expensive option so I could later add a 1.4 converter as you mentioned and also do more looking at a lens I've seen you guys on here refer to as a "nifty fifty" or something like that which would get me down to f1.8.

Yakfisher, I've been watching the D90 casually since it came out and recently wondered since it has been out for quite a while if it was ever upgraded to a newer model. With so many options and model numbers, I really haven't had time to keep up with them. What would be the advantages of the D7000?

Any other input appreciated.

ccarlson

Go to Nikon and you can compare the two directly. I like the auto focus capability in the video mode with the D7000. But it is 300 more. Both would be good. If you are looking to save on lenses you might like the even better ISO of the 7000, still the D90 is great too. I replaced a D50 with the D90 and I went from being able to take shots at about 400 max to getting acceptable results over 1600 iso.

After a bunch of research and thought I finally pulled the trigger and decided to go with the Nikon D7000 (thanks for the tip Yakfisher). I got the 18-105 kit lens with it and then ordered the 80-200 f2.8 (Thanks for your input on this lens DBL).

Funny story though. After days of mulling it over I got online to order it and found that every major online supplier in the country was out of this camera. After about 20 calls with the same results (some even laughed and said I wasn't the first person to call today alone), someone tells me that there is a supply problem from Nikon because of the flood in Thailand this past summer/fall. So I get on the google and find out that Nikon is on hold with any production of this and some other DSLR's because of the flood. No one could give me a date to when they would be in stock. So, I called the local Best buy and they had one left. It cost me an extra $113 in tax but I have the camera and basic lens! (by the way, the article mentioned that Cannon was also affected by the flood but I didn't get details.)

Waiting for battery to charge whistle will report in a few weeks after I have a chance to figure out a few things. It sure looks different than my old Canon AE1 Program! By the way, I have a couple lenses that are of course non auto focus from this old canon. Are they useful on any new canon's? One is a Tamron 60-300 and one is a Soligor 28-55. I hate to see them sit in the closet if they could help some beginner out.

thanks for the help

ccarlson

Congratulations on the new camera! Sounds like you will have a lot of fun over the next few weeks getting to know your camera!

Actually the tsunami in Japan last year is one of the main reasons for camera shortages. Eight Canon factories in Northern Japan shut down and at least four Nikon facilitates production was halted. I honestly am not sure how long it has taken them to get back up to speed but I do know Canon cameras are very hit and miss on the higher end for inventory.