• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Tom please respond

Mr. Pike1

I read you artical on plastics for crappie and walleye. I have had success with the various berkley products and want to get your feedback on the "gulp" product. I have purchashed some of these but have not had great success on the walleye or crappie with this. I specifically thought the 3-4" shad minnow would do well but nothging for walleyes or crappies for that matter on some of the smaller stuff. What are your thoughts on this product that is marketed to outfish all baits inclusive of live bait.

Mr. Pike.....I guess that I do not have much to say about the Gulp line, other than that the small grub-like stuff in jars works fair for panfish at times thru the ice. I have whipped the dickens out of open water with many different varieties of the larger products while walleye and crappie fishing, but to no avail. I have used this product in the open water below the dams in the winter months when plastics are doing handstands on the fish, with no luck. I simply do not have any trust or confidence in it like I do the PowerBait products.

If you want an honest recommendation and are targeting walleye/sauger, pick up the "red" labeled walleye PowerBait products, be it twisters or minnows. Do the three inch products. AND....go way out of your way to try and find some of the 3" PowerBait jigging worms in the "red" label. These are a three inch worm with a flat tail that are awesome baits and often times are the key difference in a successful day on the water. If you hit the internet at some of the more popular (cabelas and bps) you can find them (look under the worm catagory though) and get all four colors because they all are dynamite fish catchers!

Regardless of which PowerBait product I am using, I always start my fishing using a black or purple head for the darker colored baits and white or chartreuse for the brighter baits....often times going to the new "super glow" heads in the chartreuse head. And keep the head as light as you can comfortably fish. I am seldom over the 1/4 ounce threshold unless I am in some kind of super current.

I sure hope this helps out. Tom

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle Pro Staff
[email protected]

Pike....Only on the jigging worm was I suggesting the net. I have never seen the jigging worms in a Gander or FleetFarm. Cabelas did have a few packs in stock a couple years ago in Owatonna and may still carry them. I get my stores of them from the sources mentioned.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle Pro Staff
[email protected]