• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report and ? on crappies.

bmc

I had the family out on Tuesday night (17th) doing some crappie fishing north of Grand Rapids. We ended up keeping 10 crappies in the 9-12" range. We probably caught another 30-40 that we let go. At the end of the night, I was catching them every cast on a 1/32 chartruse chenille/marabou jig, no bait. When cleaning the fish, a couple still had spawn in them. If they didn't spawn this spring, how will that affect this lake in the next year or two? I realize that a year class of fish will be missing, but that may be good as there are alot of 7-8" crappies in there right now, which should mean more food for them. Right? Does anyone ever have any luck catching crappies on leeches?

Brian

"...affect this lake in the next year or two?"

My guess is that the 7-8" class would be bigger in coming years due to the food source, might actually be tough fishing because of the over abundance of food source. Hopefully people up there will C&R some of them due to this years class being not there.

"Crappies on leeches?"

Caught a few this spring fishing in deeper water fishing for those 'eyes.

We were drifiting in 20+ feet of water and saw bigger fish at 18' & smaller at 12'... We were drifting walleye snells and hooked into a few 12" crappies. Caught only two walleyes around the 12" range in that spot.

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

Quite a few fish still spawned this year, but like you said, there are still some that have spawn in them right now. Weird how things have been working out this year, a change in fishing patterns thats for sure. With this cold weather and change in water temps we should see a turn-over any day now grin.gifwink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

Aww, sorry...leeches...

I'll hook into crappies every now and then trolling leeches on float jigs or spinners. Also catch a few when jigging leeches too, but generally don't target crappies with leeches. But, I'm sure a hungry crappie will snatch up a leech just like they would a minnow or worm...

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

How much spawn did they have in them...That's the question. They may have spawned; Residual eggs left over is not always an indication of a missed regeneration.

On lakes with healthy populations, a missed spawn isn't going to harm the lake any. It will only assist in making it a more quality fishery in future years with respect to size.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]