• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VR/IS for 75-300mm

Hey FMers, I will soon be getting my first dSLR, either a nikon 3100 or canon T3. Myquestion is for a 75-300mm lense, how good/important is VR/IS. If itreally is the difference between being able to shoot without a tripod, I would spend the extra $$$. What say you? Main use for the lense would be when we are camping in state parks and voyageurs striving to get the amazing shots I see on here (I know I am a ways off from that). An example would be a deer/moose shot utilizing all/most of the zoom capability. My moms boyfriend is an experienced photographer so I will be able to learn the ropes from him but he does not do much with wildlife so did not have much insight on this topic. Thanks!

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Looks like the IS/VR may be a worthwhile investment. I see that the IS/VR lenses in my price range for the time being are the Canon IS Lens which is 55-250mm where Nikon's VR is a 75-300mm. Will that difference even be noticeable between the 250 and 300mm?

If I might offer some advice. Those lenses are consumer lenses...another words starter lenses. I am not saying they are bad just that you will find on the Canon side (sorry not a Nikon user) that a better choice might be the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS lens. The 55-250 is not particularly sharp, especially in the center of the lens at 250mm.

An even better choice quality wise is the 70-200/4. Here you have a professional grade build quality with fast focus. You will find out, rather quickly I might add that the lower cost lenses will loose their appeal because of the various short comings you will encounter. I know you have a budget, don't we all but possibly consider a used lens. You will find many others that are upgrading and you might find something in your price range.

Another thing to think about. As you are starting out take a bit before you make any lens purchase other than the kit lens. This allows you to get used to the camera and lens learning some ins and outs. It gives you the opportunity to see just what type of lens or lenses you will want to purchase based on the interests you will start to develop as you shoot more. I honestly don't know one person who has kept a starter telephoto. Slow down, take your time, ask questions and see how what direction you grow as a photographer.

The Nikon 70-300 VR is a full frame lens and an extremely good value at a little over $500. I have seen numerous articles talking about this lens all of them have recommended it. I own one and it takes very sharp and consistent images. Like Dan said it is a little slow,but it is a great value for a new photographer. If you go Nikon definitely get it instead of the 55-200 VR.

Thanks for all the info, guys. It definitely looks like the VR/IS is the way to go.

Dbl, I am definitely going to take it slow and wait to pick up a lens until I get a better idea of what will suit me. I was just hoping to get a feel for what my options are with either the Canon or Nikon for a Telefoto so I do not pick up a camera just to find out that the lens I intended on getting is not a good choice (like the 55-250 for the Canon apparently)

Yakfisher, I assume that the 70-300 VR is is a completely different ballpark than the 55-300 VR that is half the cost?

Thanks again for all the insight.