• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inquiring Mind

Ymmit

Hi everyone,

My name is Tim. I am new to the boards here and so far im like what i see. Im not new to fishing but more so new panfishing.

I have a few questions about some stuff im wondering and about some thing i have read here.

What is a float? I have read about everyone using one. What does it do? How do you use it & why?

Whats the average size of a Crappie and Sun Fish?

Here is what I am using.

Diawa Kastor 2000 mounted on a Fenwick 6.6" med action rod. I am mainly useing 2in tubes with either a 1/32 or 1/8 plain leah head or tube lead. Wiith that im useing a Med size spinner. My choice of colors so far are red/wht, blk/wht, char/sprkl. Those have prove to be good choices for the lakes that i have fished.

In the last week i was out for the first time in a couple years. Since i have been out a total or 4 times and we have done quitre well. None where what i guees are called slabs but the one we caught seem to be in the 8-10 inch size which seems to be a keepable size.

Well this looks like a new home to me so i will see you guys around.

Good fishing,
Tim

[This message has been edited by Ymmit (edited 07-21-2004).]

well come ! what we call a float is some type of bobber.( i'll get nailed for that term!!) but they are not only used to indicate a bite, but it is a large part of the presentation of the lure or bait.not to many of us use the round plastic one any more. many of us now use the different types of the thill brand,or a type of float that you trim to the length you want for delicate bites.check back in the panfish section. tom and matt have written some great articles on the different presentations,how to fish them and where . del

Ymmit....Welcome on deck! And welcome home! This site is a good place to be.

As Del suggested, a float is simply another term for a bobber. And as he also alluded to, they do not get a lot of use as strike indicators, but rather as a tools to keep the bait at a constant, pre-determined depth.

From your description of the tackle you are using, it sounds as though you are on the right page. The one thing I might mention is line weight....don't use much more than 6 pound line...lighter if you can handle it with your rod/reel. As I said, it appears that what you are doing will keep you busy with the fish. It is good to hear that you are into the plastics as your choice of bait.

Again, welcome to the site...we're always happy to have a newcomer join in!

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Im looking forward to being around here form a long time.

Does anyine know the Topic name to those articles that were written? Always looking to read more info.

Crappie Tom I am using more then 6lb test. I am using either 8 or 10 just cause everytime i have been out in the last week i managed to hook on to a 5-10lb Northern on a fricken 2in tube combined with a med spinner.

What dos the line weoght have to do with it? What does it affect?

Right now alls i have are tubes and two different color Curly tails. Char & white to be exact. Does anyone recommend any other baits that mey be of help catching a big slab?

If your curious we are only fishing metro lakes and some about 30-45 mins outside the cities.

Tim

I'd really recommend using like a four pound test. If you are getting cut off by toothies using the line you are spooled with, the lighter stuff won't matter and you will get far more action from the baits. Tubes and twisters are fine and if you really wqant to develope some other plastic interests, do it after you get very familiar with what you have, Many of the plastics that you can "grow" into are spendy and it is just easier to learn some techniques and such when money doesn't stand in the way.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom

muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
Catch-n Tackle
[email protected]

Thanks CT.

I might buy a pack of 2 inchers to see if they produce and bigger ones.

Should i be tieing my line right to the spinner or doesn't it matter i im using a spinner? Just curious if it will affect my action is i use a snap swivel.

Any specific Knots that anyone recommenc? Right now i and just looping is though the eye twice and then wrapping it around the main line 5-6 time and then just running it back throught loop hole.

Thanks again,
Tim

ym. i asume you are talking about a beetle spin type lure ? we are talking about fishing small tubes, twister tails, etc. either as a free swimming lure or under a float. if you are using a bleetle spin;( it is like a very small spinner bait lure) then it is different type of presentation. i wouldn't recomend using a snap swivel. the extra weight will affecet the action of a lure.( especailly a small one) i too recomend 4 # line. or if you are getting bit off alot. you may want to try one of the braids. compare the dia and tensle strength to mono. i think power pro braid in a two lb dia. has a tensile strength of 6 or 8 lbs. it would be tougher for the pike to bite through. when we start talking about jigs. we may be talking about an 1/80,1/16, 1/8 oz or larger. depending on how we are fishing, the situation, and the presentation.( do i have you confused ?) many of our presentations are a micro lite to ultra lite, hense the light line. i will try to look back to see if i can find the articles . del

ym. go up the past topics. click on past 100 days. search there. you will find topics about location,spawning,plastics. etc. you will find some articles by tom and matt that are super info. also, don't be afraid to ask questions here! del

Thanks for the info Del. Yes i am useing a beetle spin with my tubes and twister tails. The reason i aks about tieing right to the beetle spins is cause the decent size crappies that we have been hooking have been getting off on us just before or at the boat (I know get the net tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif). Now Most of the one we have hooked have been in the lower lip area. It seems as though they don't inhale it in enough to get a decent hook. Now the ones we have lost have been ptetty decent size and bigger then the ones we generally get so im guessing 10-12 inches. would useing a snap swivel have anything to do with poor hook setting? Or am i setting the hook to much? Any advice on this?

I did go look for some 2in tubes...not one store had them they were out, of course i did only go to GANDER Mtn in Maplewood & Joe's off of Hwy 36. I did pick up some black & white shads. Kind of anxious to use them this weekend. Has anyone ever use those shads that have the Tube like ends on them? Are they any good?

Once again thanks for the help,
Tim

i have never tried those lures. i wouldn't use a snap. really no benefit other than changing lures easier. i prefer to tie direct. it could be the crappies are just slapping at your lure if you are hooking them on the lower jaw, or they may just be grabbing it and turning to keep it away from other fish. yes it is a good idea if you have a good crappie on to use a net. you may try slowing your retreeve down, or change colors on your trailer. mite! ( and i stress mite!) help. del

I will try tieng direct this weekend. My retrieve is really slow and i notice that most have hit on the drop But some have followed it and taken it.

Im just wondering if maybe my lure is running with the bait not being down and possibly sideways sometimes and when they hit it it ends up in the lower jaw. Would a swivel do this?

Just a theory.

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. would you happen to know the names of those Reviews Tom has doen do you? I have tried to look for them but didn;t find them yet.

[This message has been edited by Ymmit (edited 07-22-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ymmit (edited 07-22-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ymmit (edited 07-23-2004).]