• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fogging Oil and Spark Plugs?

JIvers

A minor question: does using fogging oil to winterize a two-stroke motor hurt the spark plugs, if you put the plugs back in after spraying fogging oil in the chambers?

I ask because I winterized my outboard (a 1959 Evinrude) last weekend, and after looking at the weather forecast for southeast Iowa I think I jumped the gun on putting the motor away for the winter. crazy

When I think I am done with my motor for the winter, I run ethanol-free (we can still get ethanol-free at the pump here) gas with fuel stabilizer through the motor, spray fogging oil in the carb while it is running, run the gas out, then spray fogging oil in the chamber, and turn the motor over a couple times to coat the inside of the cylinder walls.

I also drain the lower unit and put in fresh lube, but I don't see how that matters to this question.

Come spring, my motor always starts right up...if I put new plugs in when I start it. Otherwise, no go. It doesn't seem to matter how new the plugs were when I winterized the motor three or four months before.

I ask because if I pull my motor out of storage and haul it ninety miles to the Mississippi next week, and the week after, I want to know if I should hold off on the fogging oil until I am sure ice-fishing season is here. Plugs are cheap, but still...

It's better to spray through the carb anyway, that way all internal engine parts (on a 2 cycle engine) will get a coating. And the plugs.........at less than 2 bucks a piece, it wouldn't even worry about it. But ill also ad that if you are ruining plugs with fogging oil, you may be using too much