• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alumacraft Nav with 70 Yamaha 4 stroke

fishinalot

I've never used the F70 but I would suggest you splurge for the F75.

For only $400-$600 you can upgrade from a 996cc block to a 1596cc block.

Yeah, it's 112 lbs heavier but that thing is basically a governed F90 that will barely break a sweat at WOT.

Meanwhile the F70 is basically a super-charged F50 that will be screaming at WOT. Screaming at YOU. Telling you to knock it off.

May not seem like a big deal, but it is.

Interested in the responses.....looking at a nav 165 sport myself....(though with a 90 2 stroke....slightly used)

Looks to be a great boat....

I know a close friend of mine is running a Yamaha 70 FS off the end of his Lund Explorer 1675 (very similar in size) and loaded down with two of us and TONS of gear...he's had zero issues....he hasn't had any regrets...other than it being a cold natured beast in the morning (I believe he has the carb'd version)

I've only been in 2stroke boats...seems as though his fs is always "whining" but maybe that is the nature of the motor.....if it were me and I had a choice....I'd go the biggest I could afford.

Sorry I couldn't help much more than just a personal story.

Two years ago I bought a 165 Navigator with the a 90hp Suzuki. I had wanted the full windshield with the 70hp motor, but they didn't have a full windshield in stock and I didn't care to wait around. So I got a single console but jumped from the 70hp to 90hp. I've been very happy with it. Before I added batteries, trolling motor, and general boat gear, that thing could hit the mid-40mph range. Now that it's loaded it tops out in the mid-to-upper 30s. It goes great with 3-4 people as well and is mighty quiet. I'm a small motor guy at heart but admit to enjoying the power of 90hp if needed. I'm sure that the 70hp would push the boat just fine too but it'd probably struggle to get on plane with 3-4 people and gear unless you changed out the stock prop.

I owned a 2008 165 Navigator with an F75. At WOT, I will get 33-34mph. With 2-3 guys 30-31mph. Boat is rated for 90hp. I would imagine boat will do 36-37mph. It was my very first boat and I loved that boat.

Things I didn't like about it:

- No center or bow rod storage (Always wished I had bought Dominator Series)

- Did not like side rod storage

- Too slow

Things I like:

- Affordable

- Dry ride

If I could do it all over again, I would go with the Dominator Series.