• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are the eaters?

smallies24

Been fishing the N. and S. Center past fews days (my folks bought a place on N. Center last fall) and has found nothing but 7" crappies with a number being smaller and a few as big as 8". These fish are for the most part shallow, 4 ft or less. I can go out anytime of day and catch 50-80 fish but haven't found anything large enough for the table.

Are these bigger fish still staged deepeer for prespawn? My presentation has been mostly tube jigs below a float. I water temps seem to be right around 60 degree, maybe a bit higher. Temp gage has been reading around 63 (surface temp).

Are you absolutely positive that larger fish are to be found there? Some bodies of water simply will not yield nice fish. A good measure is to hold one of the fish up and look down at it's back. If the fish has some thickness to it, I'd say there might be some larger fish to be had and you need to adjust where you are at on the lake. Trying deeper water may help or even just fishing deeper than what the little guys are hitting at. If that fish looks sort of thin, chances are the population has a growth limiting factor and you just are not going to find larger fish. Don't be afraid to take a few home and eat them if they are thin, the worst you could do is help eliminate some of the competition for food.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

Thanks Tom, I belive the majority of the fish are thinner, I just remember getting into some nicer fish a year or two ago on this lake. Although when I fished N. Center once this winter it was the same story as to the size of the fish. Might do a little more searching and then keep a few. Figure I can just scale them instead of cutting the side fillets off to utilize more of the meat. Thanks again for the quick reply!

The other possibility is the population of smaller Crappies outweighs the larger ones in such a disproportionate amount that catching bigger ones, even if present amongst the smaller ones, just isn't in the numbers.

Competition is the key here, and the bigger fish just may not compete with the smaller fish at certain times, or, like you suggested, the bigger fish are in a different location/depth. But, because of there minority in the populaiton, they are harder to find and catch.

Different types of spots will hold different sized fish in alot of cases.

For the bigger Crappies, see if you can find a shallow (2-4 feet) area with decent weeds, but also has a mildly aggressive breakline near-by with some deeper water.

Bigger Crappies seem to slide up and down the water colum during pre-spawn (and post spawn for that matter) quite a bit. So time of day can also make a big difference.

If you can find any deeper reeds, that is also an excellent spot to locate bigger Crappies at the right times.

To assist in "weeding" out the smaller fish, you can also up-size your presentation to cater to only the bigger fish. I always have liked a 1/32 oz. approach in early season, but if too many small fish are finding my bait, I'll go up to 1/16 oz, or even 1/8 oz if they are real aggressive.

Odds favor those bigger fish are still in there, but are just to outweighted by the small populous to be seen and caught.

Good luck.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Thanks for the help...after fishing yestday afternoon and evening I've come to the conclusion the craps on N. Center are just small frown.gif Found fish with bellies full of eggs in everywhere from 6 inches to 8 ft of water in various diferent areas on the lake. Tried every lure combo and color I had and didn't make a difference, they hammered 'em. Was fun to get out, the dog sure enjoyed it. My lab looks just as excited when you bring in the first one as when you bring number 60 or 70.

Maybe S. Center is holding a few larger fish. I think these two lakes have just been getting too much pressure, I know the just got hammered this winter. Wish people would think a little more about the fish they take home. Good fishin' to ya!

It sounds like you covered the water pretty well.

Many of these types of lakes could perhaps benefit from larger limits of small slot sized fish to help deteriorate the populous of small/stunted Crappies and reduce competition for bait.

I have fished lakes where you catch 100's of 7 inch Crappies on every single outing. I have kept a limit of these fish and eaten them, and must say that while filleting them takes skill and pateince, the table fair is extremely worthy in flavor. (of course, it takes a whole limit (10) to feed one guy)

But hey, they taste better then a 12" in my book, and they fry up nice and easy.

Good luck with your pursuit of bigger Crappies. I'm sure you'll find them.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 05-13-2004).]

If this is a case of over harvest of larger fish, I think it would make a good area to enforce some selective harvest options. Remember, the DNR will always have a pretty good handle on what is happening to the lakes. If they feel that special regs should be placed on this water to help boulster a sagging crappie size, it will most likely involve reduced limits and slots. Such actions do not mean it will be forever. Only until the fish pigs learn how to limit themselves to not taking pig fish. Set your standards and let your actions speak.That way you will have done your part. You still need to be mindful that all waters are NOT created equal and these bodies simply may not have the wherewithall to hold numbers of large crappies.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]