• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gulp plastic minnows

bucketmouth64

Has anyone tried gulps 2 or 3 inch minnows for crappies? Do you use these instead of twister tails on a jig head and spinner? What colors have you found to be effective. I see from previous posts that culprit paddletails seem to be a good product too.

One last item. I saw on In-fisherman a technique for catching panfish. Used a small rapala, remove the end hook and tied on a short mono leader with a fly at the end. Anyone have luck with this rig? Would it work for spring crappies?

I personally like the Berkley power micro tubes and minnows. They work awesome! This spring I'll try the Gulp a little more. Last fall I tried them and didn't have any luck. Berkley told me that the water had to be a little warmer to work best. And as far as the rapala tip with the fly on the back, you'll spend more time getting the line un-tangled than you will fishing. If you want to try something, try the smallest husky jerks you can find. I actually caught quite a few sunfish and some crappies on them. Hope this helps a little.

Corey

hey bucketmouth64, i actually had some luck with that thing you mentioned(about the rapala and small fly) you just can have the leader to far out behind it and you may have to fish it a little deeper..Where there isnt any weeds..But other then that it worked just fine and that floating rap or whatever you use acts like a bobber so when it moves, you have one on! THat rig also works good in weed pockets when you just let it sit there and twitch. Best of luck fishing!