• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MTD Snowblower

MJBaldwin

Alright guys here is my dilemma. I bought a little older MTD snowblower which has worked well for the last year being it was used and didn’t have a lot of funds due to the new house we bought. I got a good deal on it for only being $120 bucks 5 HP 2 stage snowblower my issue is this its starting to rust bad on the inside where the auger is. I am wondering what people have done to fix this just throw some spray paint on it or get it sand blasted and spray paint it all? If I did sand blast it how much does that normally cost.

Let me know thanks for your opinion!

What about pulling the auger and such out of the housing, sanding it down to bare metal, and then painting it with an enamel? Shouldn't take all that long, but kind of weather-dependant if you don't have indoor space...

I know 3M makes a product that can actually reverse the oxidation process, but they suggest that you get rid of all the rust you can before application.

MJ --

I have an older MTD as well (1997 8hp)

If you do as TTT suggests, see my post down below on removing the housing/auger assembly (if you don't already know). It's actually pretty easy to do....

I have just been made aware of a product, Boeshield T9. A friend swears by it and I just got some off the internet. Might be exactly what's needed here. I've taken my 30 year old rig apart and painted it 3-4 times over the years. It lasts for a while.

I mean I can figure out how to take it apart never have done it but I am sure I can figure it out. My question would be is what will last the longest way on a tight budget? Can I just use a wire brush on a drill to get off the existing paint and then paint on top of the stuff I cant get off?

Here's what I'd do in your situation: Wire-wheel and drill motor to take of as much rust as I can, rust-reversal product as a primer, enamel paint for a top coat. The folks at the hardware store could make a recommendation to you for a the rust-reversal product and the actual paint to use. Enamel might not be the best, but I know it has a reputation for being hard and smooth. Get something flashy, make Joneses jealous. And be sure to use proper safety gear. (Gloves, goggles, mask...)

I don't know what the weather's supposed to be like in your neck of the woods, but in the metro this weekend the weather looks okay for a project like this one.