• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bluegills...

Matt Breuer

How many species have people caught in the 'gill family? What's your biggest mix in a day? I've never caught Redears (shellcrackers) or Warmouths, and my best day is today, four species including hybrids.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

Matt... I have only caught three basic types of Bream as they are called elswhere. Bluegill,Pumkinseed and Green. This will be an interesting thread to follow, Thanks
P.S. I forgot about Rockbass and Largemouth,Have yet to catch a smallmouth.
------------------
Commom sense isn't

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 03-30-2004).]

I've caught largemouth, smallmouth, rock bass, black crappie, bluegill, pumkinseed, orange spotted, green, and hybrids from the sunnie family. I'd like to hear what others have managed! I'm missing a lot of fish on the spectrum.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

Smallmouths, largemouths, rock and spotted bass are all members of the sunfish family. There is a great sunfish family tree on the PA DNR HSOforum showing all of the fish in the sunnie family!

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

I used to live in North Carolina, and my parents still do. Whenever I fish there we always catch a variety of Bream as they are referred to there. I have caught Long ear Sunfish (referred to as Cherries).

Also, the red ear (we call them shell crackers) these are by far the largest of the sunfish in my experience. We usually caught these averaging size from 10-12.5 inches. You have to keep in mind that these fish start to get broader across the back than longer. They are a stout fish. In NC, fish tend to run larger because they have a longer growing season.

Along with the warmouth, bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and greens.

Here in MN, I have caught bluegills, greens, and pumpkinseeds, and hybrids.

Here's a pic of the world record redear sunfish (shellcracker), nuts isn't it?

47b4dd08b3127ccebb29736b3dee0000001610

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

[This message has been edited by Matt Breuer (edited 03-29-2004).]

Two guys were fishing together and one caught a 5 lb. 4 oz. redear and ten minutes later the one pictured above was caght and weighed 5 lbs. 7.5 oz. The two biggest ever caught, same day, same lake. Both fish came from the Santee Cooper Diversonal Canal near its confluence at Lake Moultrie, South Carolina

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

Those are some huge sunfish! The ones we caught this weekend might have a few years before they reach that size Matt wink.gif I still have that one in my truck grin.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle