• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glows

CrappieMagnet

I just purchased some super glow jigs and was thinking that i would throw out the topic of glows.

Do you use them this time of year and why?

I like to use glows pretty much year round,just for added attraction.Although i have on occasion,used just plain hook and minnow.
Moon glows are one of my favorites.

CM

[This message has been edited by CrappieMagnet (edited 03-12-2004).]

Good topic CM

I find that in low light periods fish want the glow. A bunch of times this year I have put on a minnow or waxie without charging my jig and the fish will swim up and look at it. I will then bring up my jig and charge it and as soon as it gets down to the fish wham I get a hit. I would say I am definitely a believer in glow technology.

On the flip side I have had days where the fish won't touch the glow. But I still put one down a hole.

Really interesting topic here! Do they work you ask? yes, in their place. I too have had days where fish seem tenetive about hitting a "charged jig", but for the most part have had good luck when they are hot. I have not used then for open water because I use only plastics and most of the time they (the jigheads) are buried in a tube. But in the summer months when I'm vertical jigging, and in cold open water, while using small twisters, they may have some credence. I'm picking some up in light sizes and a couple colors just to try them in a venue other than thru the ice. To break from the forum on a related observation though, I use glow jigs almost universally while jigging for walleye/sauger. The period of time when I most actively fish these species is roughly from the end of October until April some time. The use of super glows has upped my take dramatically. A note, all of this fishing is done on the Miss. River and the water generally carries a heavy stain. Have I ever witnessed a slower bite because of the glows?....nada. Not on the waldo species. Absolute opposite. Back to craps and pannies now. Crappies are well known for their ability to puzzle us....moreso than the most fickle of women. The obvious benefits that the glows offer in low light and dirty water situations we are getting quite familiar with. It is the open water arena that we haven't dug into much. But knowing that the jigs used for icing can catch fish in the summer months should make it an easy study....especially after the waters we fish set a thermocline. Or are hit with dirty water due to weather....or even the spring/fall turnovers. Glows are an interesting topic indeed. Any you will find those who are simply in love with them while others curse them. Like anything else in the world of fishing, you have to open your minds to find every avenue that opens up when we are dealing with some technology that is still in its infancy. Do I think they work...oh, yes! Proper time, proper place....they work like a darn. Will they work all the time?....nope.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

I would fall on the same page as Tom in saying that they have their time and place. Glows are an excellent invention for fishing and have helped me catch a lot of fish, but they are not always the right choice. I'm a heavy glow user during the winter months when I fish the low-light periods or after dark, but during the day I might often times switch to a more natural color depending on water clarity. I've also noted that too much glow can be a bad thing at times, and fish will be turned off by it. But then there are other days where the more glow you have, the more fish you catch, I guess thats fishing smile.gif I typically don't use glow at all during open water, but I have used them on occation. Walleyes are glow fish, like Tom said. Crappies can be too, but I've had outtings where I would drop down a glow jig in one hole and a non-glow jig in another and catch twice as many fish on the non-glow, regardless of the light conditions. Sure, water clarity might play a role and the fish's ability to zone in on the jig is important too, but a plain hook and minnow has no glow and still seems to do alright on catching those slabs day in and day out. I know movement and appeal is focused on here, and there is nothing like a minnow to excite a crappie's lateral line, but regardless of those characteristics, a crappie will feed on what excites them and what triggers them to strike, whether its glow or not. Is there a day on the ice when I don't drop down glow, probabaly not, you have to figure out what the fish want, and those winter fish can be glow orientated. With all the new glow colors and stlyles coming out today, it makes using glow just that much easier and more available. The glow phenomenon is here, and its catching fish!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle