• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3/4 Report

Matt Johnson

I got out on the ice today and chased some gills. I found them in about 9 feet of water and they came off the bottom. I used the size 10 red glow Pumkinseed tipped with Bio-Bait Ice Bits. Fish were aggressive today. Sure would be nice to get a cold snap to solidify things a little, starting to get a little sloppy out there.

I would start moving towards the mouths of shallow bays or on top of middepth bays for your gills. Anywhere from 7-15 feet seems to be key right now. I caught fish anywhere from 6-13 feet today, but 9 feet seemed to be the ticket. I found a few fish shallower but not as concentrated. Soon though.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I have been pounding nice crappies on Spirit Lake in Iowa for the past 2 weeks. 5-9ft of water. it is a great time! clear water so you just hop hole to hole and sight fish them. One interesting thing i have found is that they will not move in if you are sitting in a portable with the top flipped over. to catch you have to be out in the open. do you suppose the shadow from the house affects them that much?

------------------
"Fishing is a condition of the mind in which one cannot possibly have a bad time."
idratherbefishing

In clear water and on a bright day, absoluely that shack can cast a dark cloud under the ice. The fish have gotten accustomed to the lack of refraction caused by wave action....their world has its own equilibrium and anything that changes that balance does not go un-noticed by the fish. I'll bet if you are on the bucket outside in the open you need to be quiet as well.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

Well put Tom. I agree, those fish have a comfort zone and sometimes its the little things that can change a day on the ice. Once the snow melts and the hard melt begins then you will see a change with fish patterns and therefore creating a new comfort zone, which during late ice can mean the fish seem like sometimes they don't have a comfort zone and all they want to do it feed smile.gif Larger panfish are more susceptible to change and they will have a more detailed comfort zone, where smaller fish might not even follow a pattern at all. Late ice is here and it should be some great fishing!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I'm sure everyone knows this trick, but when the fish are in shallow, leave the ice shavings in the hole and just swirl a hole in the slush with your rod tip. This cuts down on the light that is getting through. This works well when fish are in shallow feeding during the day.

I should be out today, nice weather for a bite, but I have to wrap some things up off the ice smile.gif I'll be having a fish fry tonite though, does that count grin.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle