• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Still Mowing & Watering?

chasineyes

Water 'em up! If they are evergreens, they'll still absorb it, and the more moisture they go into the winter with, the better off they'll be. Evergreens lose some moisture all winter through transpiration. Woody shrubs won't be helped over winter by watering this late if the leaves are off, but watering now will put that water right there at root level after it soaks in. Sometimes, depending on the spring thaw, snowmelt runs off before the ground is thawed deep enough for it to hit the roots.

As far as mowing I'd have to defer to the lawn pro moderators. I still need to grind some leaves up yet so ours will get mowed pretty high before freeze up. Doesn't seem to bother as long as the ground isn't frozen. If the leaves aren't pulverized, it can be detrimental where they collect. Agree with Steve on the tree/shrub watering. As dry as it is in places particularly in the southern part of the state, watering some of these shrubs and bushes won't hurt and could help. As was pointed out, snow frequently leaves too quickly like it did this past spring to have much impact. Good idea to water here after getting some hay unloaded tomorrow especially on the most recently planted trees and shrubs. I'm not superstitious or anything but who knows it might even make it rain! Maybe if I wash my truck while I'm at it... crazy

I agree with Steve about the watering. Evergreens will benefit greatly to any amount of watering right now.

As far as the lawn, if its still growing, mow it. I say that because we have a few places with southern exposures next to buildings that have vivid green grass that is sill needing a mow every other week.

I will be mowing/mulching one last time this week. Go for it.