• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loving the lows

Ahhh...It's February and its snowing!

That only means one thing: The slab Crappies are biting!

Where?

Well, on my favorite lakes, thats about 22-24 feet of water on the first primary flat adjacent to the first break coming out of the deep basins.

It's still too early to find a consistent shallow weedline bite, but in these low pressure conditions, an up-break slab Crappie smorgasboard is what I find.

It's not too tough to find these prime spots either. Go to your favorite proven basin area, and take a look around, or at a map. Detirmine the closest breakline, not too steep, but not too gradual either, adjacent to both the basin area and a weedy piece of structure or shoreline, preferably in the vicinity of some prime spawning habitat.

Find the first breakline, and work your way up until you hit a platuea...

The fish may be suspended, or may be on the bottom as well. Punch a series of holes from the shallower side of the flat to the deeper side of the flat, and give it a whirl, hopping hole to hole.

For lows in Februrary this is how I catch my biggest Crappies...even a few bull Bluegills, and yeah...That Walleye roams through at times too!

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]