• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Removing Tiller from Snowblower housing!

Eckie

Ok -- so a couple of weeks ago I ordered new bushing/bearings for the housing (the outside ends of the auger shaft) connect to and rotate in the housing with.

I'm having a problem removing the auger from the housing since the auger is connected to the shaft coming out of the engine. Normally, one could find a DIY/You Tube video for this -- but I can't find anything.

Any experts out there?

Here are 3 pics to help illustrate -- the first is a general shot of the housing and auger.

29nbg5v.jpg

This 2nd picture is a close-up of the right side, as the end of the shaft rests in the bearing housing.

The bearings/bushings that I'm replacing go inside the black piece, which bolts onto the side of the housing.

mvlo46.jpg

The 3rd pic is a close-up of the drive-shaft and where it connects to the auger -- when removing

the auger, does it disconnect here? This is the main part of my question -

How do I remove the auger from the housing?

1zyes5g.jpg

Two set screws visible in Pic 3 look like a place to start.

I did this on my rig a few years ago because it was leaking fluid. I ended up taking off the entire front end and had a heck of a lot of work. The guys at the repair shop sold me some super duper grease for the unit that they said would not leak out. It hasn't in the past 2 years. I thought it was odd that the make hadn't put a drain or something in the gear box to be able to service it. But then the rig is over 30 years old so I guess I can't complain.

By the looks of your pic, you might be better off taking the impeller out with the whole works. This means you will more than likely have to remove the pulley from the rear of the shaft that comes through the impeller.

It's been a while since I had my Huskee 10hp that was basically the same design.

Thanks, Lep -- your advice was spot on -- I had to remove the housing and pulleys to get the auger/differential out.

From there -- it wasn't bad. I also decided to put new belts on since I had it apart.

Thanks, fellas!