• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon or Nikon?

I need some help. I am getting a new camera body and lens. I am looking at a 7D or 300s. I have a few questions though.

1. I notice that the 7D has an automatic pop up flash. I did like how my Pentax needed to be told to flash. Can this be overridden or will I get used to it in time?

2. The 300s has 51 focus points cmpaired to 19 for the 7D. But the 7D's are all cross type where as the 300s has 15 cross type. On the surface 51 sounds better than 19, but is that true?

3. The 7D blows away the 300s in pixels 18.1 to 12.3. But some say that more is not really better in this case. Thoughts?

4. The 7D has mirror lock up where I don't think the 300s does, but what is the difference?

Or, are they too much camera for money and I should look for a lower model? Or is there a replacement for either of these coming out soon?

Thanks for any input

You will get much better technical answers from the pros here, but for what it's worth I love my 7D. The on camera flash is not automatic, at least not in any of the modes I use- P, AV and TV or manual.

I use the focus points on the 7d selectively, usually just the centr, but you can easily switch to a different one for certain compositions.

Mirror lockup is great for macro shots, that's been my main use for it anyway. I'm sure there are more.

I know nothing about the Nikon, so can't compare them, just thought I'd share the little bit I do know about the 7D. Now one of you pros can answer the rest of the questions! If you search older threads on this forum, there are lots of folks who have asked the same question and gotten helpful answers.

In any case, good luck!

I did it.....I broke down and bought a camera with two lens and a new camera bag. I went into the camera store on Tuesday and the girl said that everybody in the store uses Canon but the sister store uses Nikon. Then another employee corrected her and said that everybody in the sister but one guy has switched to Canon. So, I got the Canon 7D with 18-135 lens kit and a Tamron 70-300. I'll post some pictures once I get through the lengthy user guide.