• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I love my Amur Maple

MN Shutterbug

Some sources call it a bush and some call it a tree. Whatever it is, the birds sure love it. It's a real bird magnet. I also have a bird bath right next to it that is really busy right now.When we first bought the place last year, it didn't look real pretty. I doubt anything had ever been done to it, so I did my best at trimming it down and reshaping it. It didn't look real pretty when I got done with it either, but it sure came back nice this year. It's abut 8 feet tall and 5 feet wide, and I'm going to attempt to keep it this size. It's sits right outside the spare bedroom so all I need do is open one of the windows in the morning and watch the birds and hopefully one lands in a good spot for a pretty photo. I may just plant another one next spring. I'm just happy the colors are still looking good and there are still leaves on it. It won't last much longer.

6291477839_3eae8ea042_b.jpg

6291477947_4808d63da6_b.jpg

6291478023_38757ac2f1_b.jpg

6291996990_6c5e91defd_b.jpg

6292004484_6ea2a525ed_b.jpg

Nice pics! They are really nice shrubs, er, trees, er, whatever they are! smile Not messy and as you've illustrated, good cover and pretty in the fall. That brushy type of cover always seems to hold some kind of bird especially when the leaves are still on. Amur maple is one we haven't planted yet. We've threatened but just haven't done it. Still trying to decide where to put them I guess. Did you ever get a chance to plant any of those chokeberries Mike?

Mark, where ya been? Haven't heard from you in awhile. No, never planted chokeberries. I ended up going with Arctic Fire Dogwood along one side of my back yard and Blue Muffin Viburnums along the other side. It sure wasn't the best year to plant shrubs. I was watering at least twice a week, especially the Dogwoods. They all survived, but barely. We haven't got as much as 2/10" since the end of July. I have to watch my dog so she doesn't fall into one of the cracks in the ground and up in China.

Thanks guys, for the comments.

Nice stuff, Mike. Amur Maple has been declared an invasive species in Minnesota. Too bad in one way. I like it tremendously as a landscaping option. But it seems to spread like wildfire.

Of the images posted, my favorites are the Harris's sparrow. Always loved that species, and really like those images of yours. smile

'tis the season Mike. frown A couple more weeks and I'll be golden or at least have time to clean the barn. grin Thanks for the amur maple update Steve. I had read something a few years back about amur maple being considered for the naughty list but didn't realize the DNR had acted on it. In area woods, amur maple doesn't stand a chance against all the buckthorn. wink