• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filter/hood question.

I've been having a lot of issues with flares and ghosting and am wondering how to fix the problem. I am currently using a UV filter and don't have a hood yet. Should I be using a polarized filter or should I simply buy a hood? Is it the filter or the hood that really makes the difference? Or is it a combination of both?

It could simply be the angle I'm shooting as well though, I am a noob to DSLR's.

I'm also looking for a new/better lens for my D3100 and would like any opinions. I'm strongly looking at the 55-300 AF VR but also considering the 70-300 AF VR lens. I just can't see why there is so much of a price difference between them which is why I'm favoring the 55-300.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

full-28855-13396-10_23_11097.jpg

The 70-300vr is built for a full frame camera like the D3, the 55-300 is built for crop sensors. I have the 70-300 and it is a fantastic value for the price it sells for. As for the flares and ghosting I'll leave this to people with better answers.

Filters will cause flare issues. Its an easy fix, remove the filter and shoot and check. I generally have a hood on at all times except when shooting against a chain link fence, or hockey boards. I use NO filters on any of my lenses so the hood provides not only flare protection but protection for the front element in case of bumping it against something. Again hoods are cheap (Unless you shoot a 300/2.8 or 400/2.8), I would highly recommend using one.

I do as Dan does.

Also, the cheaper the filter, the more likely it'll cause ghosting, which is reflection back and forth among the lens/filter elements. The better filters have better coatings, and even shooting with two or three filters stacked, which I do on occasion with neutral density filters to achieve a very long exposure, there is no ghosting. I've been using Hoya filters.

A high quality UV filter costs as much as replacing the front element on most lenses up to 77mm wide, so it's an unnecessary expense. If in protecting the front element and getting all scratched up you have to replace the filter, you could have just as easily replaced the lens element. However, by using a hood on every single lens I own (if I buy a lens that doesn't have a hood included, I buy the hood simultaneously), I have never scratched or nicked a front lens element.