• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yotes

heat checker

I seem to have set a stand smack dab in the home territory of a pack of yotes. Not used to hunting with many of those critters around. Do the deer seem to move out of the area? Decent 8pt and doe with fawns on camera. Will the deer alter their routines much because of them? The other night a yote came through right before dark. Had just got up to field edge when the pack lit up the airwaves. Within seconds, a doe and fawns came squirting out of the next ravine and high-tailed it across the field. Am I wasting my time hunting so close to the packs home area?

I don't think you are wasting your time. Maybe not an ideal location but if you got deer on cam and there is sign in the area i would still hunt it. Shot selection becomes even more important in this situation however. If you get a questionable hit and have to back out till morning you can bet the yotes will be enjoying the meat instead of you!

I would say you're good. There are yotes all over one place I hunt but I rarely see anything except there dens or hear them late at night. If you're trying to shoot deer during shooting hours grin then the yotes likely won't be around to hassle them and the deer will know it. We have people letting their dogs run loose all over our woods and the deer still come through, especially during gun season, when most people smartly keep their dogs inside. One time I arrowed a nice doe in the woods behind our house, went back to the house to grab my knife and field dressing supplies and came back 15 minutes later to see that the neighbor's german shephard had ripped open the guts and removed them for me. Thankfully, he went for that versus the hams or real meat.

I think anyone who bowhunts hunts in a pack of song dogs area. they have huge ranges and may leave areas for weeks. Do not worry about heck if you are in the stand when they come back they may ge the deer moving for you. Last year had one chase a nice doe right to me, she stopped 10 yards away and had no idea I was there till it was too late, she tasted great, LOL.