• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to start?

setterguy

I have a lake up north that I know has some nics slabs in it, we have gotten into them a few times. But I have never fished the lake this early (before February). The lake is 30 acres with two deep holes, one is 50 feet the other is 40. Now other than the holes there isn't a lot of sructure in the lake it is basically either going down to one of the holes or coming back up. The weedline is really undefined, with some small weeds as deep as 25 feet. My question is where would you start this time of year? Would you work the deep holes or try some of the sharper breaks? Oh also this lake has a monster pike population, there aren't many but the ones that are in there have gone as big as 25lbs. Don't know if that would make a difference or not. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Keep the tip up, ask permission and shoot straight. Setterguy

30 acres huh, sounds like a nice little lake. Should be an easy one to figure out being small in size. 25 foot deep weeds? Is the water clear? I wouldn't really expect to find crappies hugging the bottoms of the holes but you can find them suspended. Whats the bottom like? If the breaks flatten out at all that would be a good spot to check out. Or else check the area connecting the two holes, soometimes those necks hold a lot of fish, that might be where your big pike are holding during the day. The steep breaks could hold fish but its tough to day without looking at a lake map. If you want to e-mail the name of the lake and the county, I can look up a lake map and take a more thorough look at things. Or else e-mail me the lake map.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

25 feet deep and weeds...I am betting on a night bite....somewhere around 24-27 feet of water.

Try a white glow with either Crappie minnows or maggots, and get some holes drilled before sundown. These fish may not show up until well after dark.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]