• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bio Bait Crappies

Matt Johnson

I spent the morning and midday chasing crappies on a Metro lake. Found that the fish were relating to the primary breaks off some shallow weeds in slightly deeper water. The fish that were in the shallower weeds were small and active, hitting just about anything put in front of them. The fish off the breakline were suspended and were light biters. I dropped down the same small 1/16 oz spoon that I was using in the weeds out on the breaks, but with no takers. The crappies would slowly rise then slide back down. I needed to go smaller and slower. I grabbed a rod that had a size 8 Custom Jigs n Spins glow Ratso. I tipped the ratso with three pieces of Bio Bait Ice Bits Larvae...and wham! They ate that up. First fish was a hefty 14 incher! Here's a pic...

fa47f5bd.jpg

This was the biggest of 27 fish in a twenty yard area. 8 of the 27 fish were in the 10-12 inch range, and the rest were under 10 inches. Every fish in the weeds was no bigger then 9 inches.

Bio Bait out fished euro larvae 2 to 1. I beileve that the extra scent from the Bio Bait triggered those sly biters into striking. The slight movement that the real larave gave off causing the jig to spin slightly, which made the fish hesistant. The Bio Biat could be held comepletely motionless, and thats what the fish wanted today. I slight jiggle, then the finesse plastic of the Ratso quivered just enough to keep the presentation appealing, and the Bio Bait sealed the deal.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 12-16-2003).]

While fishing today I did a bit of an informal bait test between the bio bait "crispies",power bait waxies, and this new gulp product in the larva shape( it comes in jars). The crispies did as good a job of taking sunfish as the real waxies did. A couple sunnies fell to the powerbait waxie. Crappies became another matter. I didn't get a single crappie on any live waxie or powerbait waxie or the crispies. I did turn the craps with the gulp though. Right from the jar these pieces are way too large for me to consider using them thru the ice, so I sliced them into little slices resembling a slice of summer sausage about an eighth of in inch thick. I placed 1 of these on the jig, being sure the hook was turned out a hair. Bingo! The color I found the most agreeable was the orange fished on a "red glow" teardrop, two pound line. No bobber. The next trip I intend to take the standard bio-bait in larva try it instead of the gulp and see if it works as well. The crispies do inpress me though. They may not be the answer as a complete replacement for live waxies, but they sure do get the sunnies' attention and I am convinced that they will work as well as the real McCoy. The gulp has to be doctored as far as size goes, but it too is another very aggressive bait substitute. Both of these products should probably find a place in the goodies bag for hardwater fishing.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

I talked with Pat Smith at Thorne Bros. today . We chatted about the Bio-Bait. He said what he found works best is to take the larvae bait and roll it in the palm of your hand with your index finger to thin it out. He said you can also cut it into a smaller piece but he still said to roll it.

I have not used this Bio-Bait yet. But I will say I have used the Berkley Power Wigglers for panzies with excellent results. Nothing works better when the gills and craps are biting furious and you dont have to keep rebaiting cause they steal the live bait. The wigglers are tough to pull off.

Good Fishin,

Trapper

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 12-22-2003).]

[This message has been edited by protrapper (edited 12-22-2003).]