• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

quad vs. side by side

nwhunter

I'm sure this has been hashed out, but I'm looking for some specific advice, and I'm probably not searching correctly.

I am in the market for a new toy. I've had a mix of quads for the past 10 years, and my latest has reached it's end of life. I want to purchase either another quad or a side by side, but I'm having a hard time deciding. From what I can tell the advantages to a quad are higher clearance and lighter (both useful when in the woods.) The side by sides are heavier, can transport 2 comfortably, and have some storage space. The big disadvantage to the side by side that I see is lower clearance, wider, and heavier. Three things that can make it difficult to navigate some of the wooded areas.

Are there any other pros/cons "bullet points" that I'm missing either side? My primary uses are hunting and ice fishing, not much trail riding. I appreciate any input from the experts here.

Thanks!

With your primary usage being ice fishing and hunting, I would lean towards the SXS.

Another thing to factor in is what price range are you willing to pay? You can find a decent carry over SXS for less than you can spend on a Class I ATV these days.

I would be more specific in my recommendations if I knew how much you're willing to spend. I'm guessing you might also be looking at some accessories i.e. winch, plow, blower, mower, tires/wheels.

What's your price range?

Used - less than $5K

$5K - $10K

$10K - $15K

$15K - $20K

I've always bought used in the past, but I would be willing to buy new. I'm not going to say price isn't a concern, but I would be willing to go into the high end of your ranges if I found the right fit. My biggest concern with the SxS is clearance and having to lift off an obstruction if necessary.

Accessories are also important, but I think I can get a plow & winch for either one I picked.

Are there any other concerns I should be considering?

If you'd get hung up on an obstruction with a SXS, you'd hopefully have a winch to help you over.

Pro's for the SXS are:

more room to carry gear

more comfortable to carry a passenger

a little easier on the back in rougher terrain

depending on the machine, ground clearance isn't much different compared to some Class I ATVs (SRA ATVs will have less than 8" of true GC)

Can be driven down the side of most County Roads in MN

Pro's for the Class I:

more maneuverable in tight quarters

lighter to lift (if you get stuck)

easier to haul

In most cases, just as versatile as a SXS

There's much more to list but the bottom line is to get out and drive as many brands and both Class I and Class II machines as possible and pick which is most comfortable for you. Where each machine can go depends more so on the operator than it does on the machine.

A winch is definitely a must as far as I'm concerned. I'm a Polaris guy, so I'll probably be leaning that way but am certainly open-minded. Can you make any recommendations in the Polaris line for both SXS and quad? On the quad side, I've been partial to the Sportsman 500...

Thx-

We're getting to the time of year when dealers are trying to make room for the new model year so you might be able to find a good carry-over 500 Sportsman.

Another plus with choosing a Class I is the lower price makes it easier to accessorize and you still have a good machine that will do anything you want.

Polaris offers 8 machines in their Premium Sportsman line up and 5 machines each in the base and 2-up line.

I had quads for years but bought a used RZR a few years ago with less than 80 miles on it and the SxS has been the best decision I ever made. It is certainly heavier but I just find it so much more usable for so many other purposes that the positives outweigh the negatives. I do have a winch on it just like I did on my Sportsman 500 and I have certainly had to use it but they do go through a heck of a lot before they get hung up. I am in my mid 40's now and if I get another one it will probably be a standard SxS with a full box but other than that there is no way I would go back to a quad. But then again everyone is different so take it with a grain of salt.

I've been eying the Ranger and Ranger RZR all morning and am starting to lean that way, I think. I heading up into town this afternoon to check out a couple of dealers to see if they have any thoughts or suggestions. I wanted to be armed with some information and what my pros/cons for each, and maybe see if I can drive a SXS.

If you look on eeee baaaaayyyy you can find RZR's pretty decked out and near new for great prices.

I would also look at the Can Am. That looks like a pretty sweet ride.

I have almost 1700 miles on the RZR and the only thing I have done to it is to change the air intake system to an aftermarket unit to get the filter out of the dust of the rear wheel opening.

I have a standard RZR also. Mine is a class 1 atv because it is under 1000lb. I love it, i got it in may and have 500 miles on it already. the accessories are endless. Great features are being able to hold a conversation when driving, comfort, and able to haul gear. Negatives are that they dont have the ground clearance, mine is 2" wider than a sportsman and you do notice it on tight trails. Now I have a 2011 standard RZR so it is basically the cheapest RZR you can get, but I have upgraded shocks and it made a huge difference. Good luck

It's almost a done deal...

Commander 800R XT is the one that I think will fit the bill. I've been talking to two different dealers that have one available. Both quite a drive from my location, but what's a guy going to do? I have some followup questions for each dealer, but bottom line is the best price is going to get my business. Both locations have it in camo and have all of the bells and whistles, probably more than what I need, but I sat on a floor model at a dealer in the cities and fell in love with it. Winch strength and towing capacity played a big role. Thanks for your help! If I can figure out how to get pics posted, I'll throw one up to show off the new toy.

Thanks!