• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie question here - targets for broadheads...

BoxMN

Okay, I have been shooting with field tips this summer, and using a mini-block (??) square target (white with red dots, square). Works great, easy to remove field tips, wearign good. Also have a cheapy Realtree target at home (yellow with the deer image, says not to use broadheads).

So I shot a couple braodheads into the square target, can't recall if it said it COULD be used with broadheads, but needed to check. Arrow flew the same, so that is good. But it was a devil to pull the arrow back out, and one braodhead had a "dent", so I needed to sharpen, etc. So only shot a few. Maybe a cable in there or something?....

Soooo... I was at FF and bought a black layered target that said field tips or braodheads. $38. Shot some, and holy chit is it hard to get the carbon field tip arrows even out! It is like you have to break the arrow free then pull it out. PITA.

So I tried broadeads (thunderheads on carbon) and the broadhead went all the way through, but target stopped shaft good. I just unscrewed boadhead, pulled arrow out, then replaced. But that is also a PITA.

What is the best way? Just do it that way, knowing I won't have to do it much? OR somebody told me to pull the arrows through past the duravanes, but that doesn't seem like it could even happen?.?.....

What am I doing wrong, or do I just need to make sure broadheads are same as field tips once, and then just target shoot with field tips?.... Thanks!

Even if my field points fly exactly the same, I still like to practice using old broadheads or in my case, a couple of new muzzys with practice blades that don't cut as much. I also typically slow down shooting during season, shooting maybe a dozen times each session but often just 3-4 to make sure I'm on. I like to take my time, making every shot count like it would on a hunt. One tip I'd have is that as my broadhead and/or 3d targets are well worn, I put a backstop behind them consisting of two metal T stakes and a double thickness of carpet scraps (4' x 6' in size) zip tied onto them. Arrows will blow through it after passing through a well-worn hole in the target or on the occassional errant shot but it slows them down enough so they don't go very far.