• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finding success on your own

The main reason for people congregating in one general location on a lake in the wintertime is because the fish have generally been caught there already, have been easier to find and target in that specific spot, and success has already been had.

That spot perhaps holds a better concentration of fish, making them easier to target at times, and occasionally easier to catch. Or it may just be the go to spot that everyone knows about or has had success with, at least to some degree, at one time or another. Or it's where the "new guy" to the lake goes because he/she simply doesn't know any better.

However, it doesn't take long for an area or school of fish to become pressured, and the fishing slows rapidly as a result.

For better success it's time to look elsewhere.

The other holes or structured areas in the lake are going to hold fish as well, but they may not be patterned exactly the same as the other spots, in essence making the fish a bit more difficult to find by some anglers.

For instance, the favorite hole could see fish suspending and scattered in it throughout the entire basin area, while the other holes around the lake might see Crappies holding to a certain edge or specific depth of the hole. These fish may group in tighter schools, or feed during different times of the day then regular anglers that frequent the lake are used to, discouraging a local angler from the spot even if they were to pop a few holes and give it a try during "typical" active hours.

Other times, these holes are not fished just basically because nobody has taken the time to adventure and seek out new spots. In other words, nobody has ever seen anyone fish there, so they didn't flock over in heards to rain on the parade.

Whatever the case may be, these spots that see minimal pressure in winter are surely worth your while to investigate. Non-pressured fish typically bite better, bite more consistently, and generally have a more favorable average size.

These spots could be honeyholes, but beware, as was hinted before, because once other anglers see one person fishing a new spot on more then one occasion, odds favor you'll have company very quickly.

Bottom Line: Take a peek at the map, and make the trip an adventure. It could make for one heck of a payday!

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 12-03-2003).]

Good topic UJ!

Getting away from the crowds is an important piece of the puzzle when approaching a lake. Sure you can catch fish amongst the crowds of people but you'll be surprised what you can catch once you venture out and find you're own spot.

Like UJ said, the spots with the crowds are not the only spots on the lake where you will catch fish, an even sometimes those aren't even the best spots to fish. Someone starts catching fish and then more people follow, and soon you have a shanty town.

If you are catching fish over hole in 25 feet of water surrounded by about 15 feet of water, you will also catch fish accross the lake in a middepth hole surrounded by slightly shallower water. If fish are congregating over a hump or saddle in 15 feet of water with adequate weed growth, you will find fish congregated over a hump or saddle accross the lake with adequate weed growth. The point is that similar spots produce similar results. I know this is not the case all the time and in some lakes it will never occur because of lake of structure. But as a general rule, look for different structure and find a new spot. If you locate another hot spot with no one around you will have the time of your life. Those fish won't be pressured and you won't be able to keep your line in the water.

Sometimes it takes some time to find new spots, but they are out there. Sometimes going away from the crowd by only a hundred yards or so will put you on new fish. And sometimes moves of a mile are needed on larger lakes.

If you see a crowd of people don't assume they are all catching fish. And if fish are present, look on a lake map and see why, then look for similar spots on a different part of the lake.

I rarely fish next to a crowd and I'll often times spend a few hours punching holes before I start catching fish. But it all pays off in the long run once you find what you are looking for, and most times you will. And after you find your new spot, you just added another honey hole to your list.

I've also noticed that structure areas next to a large crowd of people hold fish too, and bigger fish. The crowded areas see heavy pressure and some of larger more spooked fish will make small moves to new structure while the little fish stick around the crowd and feed. Making a small move of 50-100 yards to a nearby drop-off/edge or structure can mean larger fish.

So next time you head out on a lake look where the crowds are and figure out why they are fishing there by looking at a lake map. Don't just go and set up amongst the crowd, find a new spot and fish off the crowd. Look at a lake map and see if there is structure somewhere else that is similar or else find a whole new spot for yourself. Once you find a system of finding your own spots you will catch more and bigger fish. Untapped waters I like to call them, and they are out there in almost every lake.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

I am always looking at the past...old holes that have iced over, signs of old activity like dead bait or shack "tracks" left in the ice. The reason? Fish do not move far in cold water and if they were being caught there three weeks ago, but the crowds have moved off the site, there is a good chance that the fish are back at point A. Yes, there are seasonal shifts in preferred areas due to weeds, or lack of, ice conditions changing, etc,but the fish were there originally for a reason and they may just bring them back to that spot. Crappies and pannies, especially the big ones, are not very people/commotion tolerant and will move off to avoid the bustle. But seldom very far if thier food source is still viable. How mant times have we drilled a bunch of holes only to catch fish from one with other people fishing in the others? Maybe that person has mastered "QUIET". Still, the frenzy of "having to be where the action is" is what spoils more fishing than the weather.The fish will yo-yo back and forth between these areas as pressure dictates and unless the food they have been enjoying is depleted, that is about all they will do. Another thing to remember is where you took fish in DEEP water with wood in it during the hottest part of the summer. I know an area on a local lake where the fish come fairly consistant during the period of broiler temps in August that will still consistantly give up craps when fished the same way during the winter. People park thier shacks thirty feet from shore and complain that they get only the occasional fish, but I punch my holes behind them at ten feet from shore and catch a ton...all day at times, because I am sitting right on the deep break that is covered with wood. Too many anglers overlook the fact that fishing techniques from season to season can, and do, overlap....what works in the summer can work in the winter too. As technology becomes more complex, the way anglers handle thier day to day fishing tends to change dramatically. Not only do I look to the past to see where the action has been, I look to the past to seek out the serenity of simplicity. The most complex piece of tackle I own is my Clearwater flasher. Or an occasional fishing partner.UJ is right in saying that water different from where the masses are may hold better fishing. And MJ is right in saying that sometimes you don't have to go far. I'm a social person but I don't want people in my bucket either. Most of the time I know where I am going to locate myself before I even leave home and if there is a party going on when I get there, I will fish...where the party was two weeks before.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Great topic UJ, I am a strong beleiver in hunting for something new. It sickens me to see a lot of people congregated together fishing in a group and keeping what they catch. People need to search to refine their skills and find new spots. You could possibly hit a honey hole!!

I was out this morning and fished an area that was highly pressured with fishermen the last fews days. I took the path less traveled and found a spot about 50 yards off from where the crowds a were and punched some holes where no one has fished yet this winter. I located an underwater hump and got into some nice gills. Everyone else focused on the spots where the crowds were and they only managed a few smaller fish. I fished in slighhtly shallower water but the fish were there, and thick.

Even during early ice when the fishing can be fast and furious, it still sometimes pays off to find your own spot, especially on the high pressured lakes. The larger fish have moved away from the pressured areas and relocate in the mainlake or push into a nearby new area for the meantime, then the transistion to the mainlake can occur.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum