• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unclear 30 minutes too late

musky hunter

My apolgies as my previous post generated an unintended but justified response about baiting. I was hunting in Superior, Wis where baiting is legal. Having switched residency from Minnesota to just over the border to Superior Wis a few years ago, it took me a while to get comfortable with the practice. But I have found that it is a common tactic used by a substantial percentage of Wisconsin archers.

Why start a new thread?

The last one was locked because of the negative response. Too bad that everyone just assumes he's baiting illegally instead of questioning where he can do it within the law. Baiting is a legal and accepted practice in Wisconsin. Let's not turn this into a post about that.

As to the original post, those big deer just seem to know when you're there. You can try walking in with a partner, leave the bait and you sit while he walks out. Don't believe deer can count. He may just come right in, assuming you've headed back to the truck.

I have a wise old buck behind my house. After I am done hunting for the year I throw some pumpkins back there with a camera over them to see what survived the rifle season. Sure enough the only daylight photo I have of this deer is in December of him chowing down at high noon when I was at work. Like DonBo said, they know when it's safe.

Thanksgiving, middle of the cornfield, alone, yep, high noon. Come musket season never made that high risk play again and didn't do that during rifle season. Before zone 4 went to zone 2, the bucks had an even better chance of surviving it and weren't quite as nocturnal in the farm belt.