• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Breed DNA Tests

Dellfin

I came across a deal on the web for a DNA test (BioPet) for dogs that will tell you the breed(s). My pooch was a rescue dog and I would be interested to know what breeds he is. The kit normally costs $59.99 on sale for $30. According to the kit instructions, you simply take a swab from the mouth and mail it in. Results take about two weeks to be returned by mail. Sounds simple enough and pretty reasonably priced.

I Googled reviews on these kits and I'm seeing 50%/50% love/hate results. Could be that alot of people were thinking that there dog was some highly regarded breed and the results came back that it was something entirely different than they had expected (hoped) and that's why they reviewed it poorly. Others say that they believe the results appear completely consistent with what they thought and gave good reviews. Maybe the outfit is just sloppy in their handling of the samples...? I know that my dog is no purebred, but curious.

Does anyone have any experience and comments with these tests?

Well here is what I found on BIOPETS HSOforum. Looks like they are out of the DNA business.

Quote:
DNA Breed Identification

Special Notice Regarding DNA Breed Identification:

Mars, Inc., Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center , and Argus Genetics, LLC have entered into a confidential settlement agreement with BioPet Vet Lab, Inc. regarding U.S. Patent No. 7,729,863.

The ‘863 Patent outlines a process for canine breed identification testing and was granted on June 1, 2010. In December 2010, Mars filed patent infringement suits against BioPet and Radio Systems Corporation (“PetSafe”), and against MMI Genomics, Inc. Following the issuance of a temporary restraining order by the court in the BioPet/PetSafe suit, in March 2011 the court preliminarily enjoined BioPet and PetSafe from continuing to infringe the ‘863 Patent by selling DNA breed identification products and associated services. BioPet and PetSafe have appealed the preliminary injunction; however, the preliminary injunction is currently in effect.

This settlement concludes this litigation against BioPet. While the terms of the agreement are confidential, BioPet will be permitted to process dog DNA samples for a limited period of time for individuals who purchased a BioPet-branded “DNA Breed Identification” kit on or before June 15, 2011, thereby ensuring that consumers who purchased mixed-breed DNA tests from BioPet before this date will be able to receive results. Otherwise, BioPet has exited the canine DNA breed identification market.

Mars, Inc, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Argus Genetics, LLC will continue to enforce their patent rights in this market segment.

I don't believe they are accurate at all. Quite a few people with purebred dogs have tested them and they came back as mutts. A fried of mine did hers and her dogs came back as Rhodesian ridge-back, dalmatian and whippet. They were really half German Short hair and Half labrador. Her other dog who was half border collie came back as another bizarre mix of rare breed dogs that I have never even seen in Hibbing MN. Chances of them getting together are pretty slim.