• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear

northspear

I have some land in WI. Last year I had a big sow and three cubs that for some reason considered the area around my stand as their home. On many occasions I would get a picture of deer on the camera within minutes of the bear passing. Like within five minutes.

Getting rid of the bear never really entered my mind. I always enjoyed seeing them. A few mornings they even visited under my tree before light.

So to answer your questions...........I never thought they bothered the deer. It seems creatures tolerate each other better than humans do. I saw deer; wolves and coyotes pass by within minutes of the bear. As far as getting them to move on, it seems the more you try to spook them the more they crave the attention.

WS

I'm thinking this is a great opportunity to use up last summer's leftover fireworks. Bottle rockets and roman candles should do the trick.

All kidding aside, when you put out a food source in the woods you may get unitended visitors. This mornings edition of the Duluth News Tribune caries a front page account of a hunter near Superior Wis. being mauled by a bear he was trying to shoo off the bait site. He battled the bear with his knife and his hunting partner actually shot it with the bow, apparently during the attack. The bear later died after being pursued by officers and the uninjured hunter. The hunter survived but required medical attention for bites and abrasions.

I'd maybe suggest changing bait, but I don't know what foods a bear dislikes and a deer likes. I had just such an experience last year when a sow and a cub came in. Cub came to within five yards before I scared it off with a hiss.

For me, the Bear seem to vacate my area way more than the deer. I truly think that they (the deer) will not come out when bear are around. It use to be awesome to see them, but now it is annoying. For the reason that if I see one, I WILL NOT SEE A DEER! Now when I do see deer, I DONT SEE BEAR>...Probably has a lot to do with where you hunt to though....