• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oilers' Fedun breaks femur

OnAFly

Here's part of the article:

The NHL continues to be the only hockey league in the world that has touch icing, and Friday night at Xcel Energy Center, another dangerous race to beat out an icing left an Edmonton Oilers defenseman with a broken right femur.

Now players such as former Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster, who broke his femur on a race for an icing in 2008, are again calling for the NHL to switch to no-touch icing.

"I hope this leads to change," Foster, now a defenseman with Anaheim, said in a text to the Star Tribune. "I'll be in touch with [NHLPA Executive Director] Donald Fehr very soon."

The latest casualty was the Oilers' Taylor Fedun, a 23-year-old who just graduated from Princeton. Fedun was injured when Wild forward Eric Nystrom tried to beat out an icing.

Nystrom tried to reach around Fedun to touch the puck, but he believes the blade of his stick rolled into the holder of Fedun's skate blade. The result was a violent crash and a lot of pain.

Makes you wonder how much longer the NHL will have touch icing.

Bad injury, but Foster made it back, I think guys are fairly careful or they try to be, at least it wasn't a full body smash check like my buddy used to let guys get there first and just punished them for that, we don't need all the whistle stoppages on icing, part of the game, 2 guys hustling, it is what it is. Bad for the injured, but it seems fairly few and far between.

From what I've read, it seems as though the players would rather see it go.

My guess is that if it were changed, people would complain about it, then forget about it. I don't really notice it when I watch Olympic or College hockey.