• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting an Apple Orchard

walleyeking19

I got permission to hunt an apple orchard for archery season, and looking at the extended forecast for this weekend, it looks like the wind will be blowing directly into the woods where the deer will be coming out of. Do you think that will affect movement? Or are the deer used to human scent around them since people are in the orchard quite often? I'd put a map up on here to show you exactly what I mean, but I cant figure out how to do that. Thanks!

The deer are not entering the orchard when the people are there. Take all precautions before entering to your stand being careful to use scent control sprays or any other scent masking products that you may have. Try to plan a careful path to your stand as to not spook deer on the way in. If using a climber, climb as high as you safely can and sit tight. Sounds like it could be a great spot, so remember it is only opening weekend and you do not want to alert the deer of your presence. There is a lot of season left with many days to come with a better wind. But, the weatherman has been wrong before, so wake up early and make a good decision!

I've had a few deer walk within 25 yards of me while I was setting stands this year there, including a little 6 and 8 pointer, so I dont think people really bother them. Just being in college still, it really cuts down on my hunting time. So I cant be too picky on when I can go out there. Hopefully the cold gets them going

I'd try to sit somewhere else if the wind is wrong. No sense alerting them to your spot, especially if you have limited time to hunt. Don't ruin your honeyhole before the season even has a chance to crank up. If you must hunt there, at least get to an outer fringe and hope for the best.

Is there anywhere you can sit near the edge of the apples where your scent might blow off to the side of the woods you expect the deer to come from? If not I would wait for a different wind, no reason to mess up a spot by letting all the deer know you are there.