• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ScottS, question for ya

Dano2

Any more reports on the Pro-cure scents?
Going after some gills soon, curious about which scent seems to work better.
Also going to the Sportsmen show in Fargo Sunday, I wonder if they'll have any there,
anyone know?

thanks

Dano, The Pro-Cure scents definetly work! There is not doubt about that. However, I am trying to narrow down which one is "Best" for big gills. Right now I am leaning toward the shiner. I have had good luck with Garlic, Crawler and Shiner. I think by the end of the year I will find the shiner has been the best but the test is still ongoing.

I will be testing these scents all summer also. My goal would be to get it down to 2 or three that work well for me year around. PRO-CURE does make a panfish scent that I have not tried. I am looking for one that will entice those bull gills and then I am going to see what it will do for walleye. I am guessing that one that works best for gills will probably work pretty well for eyes. Thanks for asking, I will keep you posted.

Not sure if its in many stores yet, i think they are just starting to get it out in some,
but you CAN get it from their HSOforum, just do a search and you should find their HSOforum, I dont want to post it becasue last time I posted a HSOforum it got deleted, which I guess i can understand, thanks.

Scott. is the shiner the same as the minnow bait sauce? I see some minnow scents but haven't came acrros any shiner.
Also are you useing the oil or butter or sauce, I see the sauce and butter stays longer than the oils, and a guy at the sportsmen show said the garlic is just used to cover any other scents, like, something that could come from our hands.
He wouldn't sell me any, ticked me off, heh, heh.

Yes, that is the purpose of the garlic. I like Garlic, so fish must to, right? Who knows?? I believe the one I am using is Shiner not the minnow sauce. I will get back to you on that for sure. I am using the sauce version but I am going to use the butter version on my crank baits this summer. I will get back to you on your question.

Dano, I have been using the Emerald Shiner lately. I finally checked last night. I could remember if it was minnow or Emeral Shiner. This one has worked the best so far for panfish. I am going to test a few different ones in SD this weekend.

Scott

I have a question for you. As I understand a majority of hits that come on a crank baits are reaction strikes. I don’t know if you agree with this statement or not but if you do what good would scents do when applied to crank baits?

If you want to try something a bit different, go to the drug store and buy a four ounce bottle of cod liver oil. Costs about 6 bucks. Dip you whatever in that stuff and see if you don't notice a difference. Three or four slpit the cost of a bottle and it goes a long way for very little. I use the stuff instead of other scents in the southern part of the state and slap the fish silly using it. Have also used it up in the Brainard area as well with the same results. Give it a try. Crapster

Howdy St Croix,

You are very correct in respect to the comment that the majority of crank bait strikes are a result of an impulse reaction.

The only scent that the crank is giving off perhaps is the the slight scent of your tackle box, and whatever smell is on your fingers. But for the most part, a scent is typically undetectable from a plain crank.

If you can combine an impulse strike (result of vision and hearing senses) along with the olfactory (fish's ability to smell), odds favor you will recieve more strikes, in turn resulting in more catches.

The more senses of a fish you can achieve interest of, the more fish you are going to entice to bite.

If the bait not only looks good but also smells good, you are only going to increase your odds of getting that fish to eat.

This is only my very basic explantion and understanding of the subject to the best of my knowledge.

Scott can probably give a much greater detailed explanation, but I thought I would just throw in my perspective while I was here.

thanks,

Fish On! Fish Off! ::Guzzle:: cool.gif

Thanks Scott,
could have used some of that up at URL friday night, tryed everything in my tackle box almost, even tryed Tony deans bacon trick,hmmm, atleast the perch liked it, heh, heh,
guess it just wasn't my night, or morning saturday either.

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 03-09-2003).]

Good Post United Jigsticker...That sums it up pretty well. For me it is all about increasing the odds of getting bit. Ever try to eat something when you have a bad cold and can't taste anything. That is the plain crank bait, now add in some smell and taste, yes, much better grin.gif