• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon EOS Rebel T1i DSLR

Just ordered this camera and was wondering what some of your thoughts were about it. We will be using it for taking pictures of our children. They are both involved in many sports.(indoor and outdoor) I ordered an extra lens - I believe it is 55-250mm. What are some other accessories that I might need?

Thanks for all your help as I'm just getting started in this camera stuff.

Scott

Congratulations on your purchase. The T1 is a nice camera to start out with. For sports applications you may find the focus a bit on the slower side than a more expensive model but it is easy to make up for that by shooting more pictures.

I would hesitate to start giving you advice on what you need to start shooting sports, especially indoors. Get used to your camera and its different functions and then if you have specific needs you need to fill ask away.

I will tell you that indoor sports shooting is rarely a cheap endeavor! If you can provide ages of your kids, and sports I can give you a bit better idea what you may be facing with future purchases.

As far as other accessories, a good camera bag, basic tripod or monopod, extra batteries, extra memory cards are a good start. Microfiber cloth for lens cleaning and camera cleaning. Make sure you share some of your work here!

Thanks for the reply Dbl. As I said i'm just getting started and I sure do appreciate any advice I can get.

With the kit I ordered I am getting an extra battery, bag, and 1)4g sd card, two lens (18-55mm) and (55-255mm).

I'm not sure if a Microfiber cloth is included but if not i'm sure I will pick one up. I think I will start with a monopod for no other reason but I think it will be more mobile.

Our children 12(girl) and 15(boy). The reason I'm just getting started in this photography thing is I have coached my son in football, baseball, and basketball and I was not able to take pictures and coach at the same time. Now that my son is in high school I will not be needed to coach so I thought I would save some memories by taking photos.

Scott

Congratulations on your new camera! It's great to be able to capture those exciting, fun memories.

My small bite of advice; remember to put the camera away once in awhile. I would get so caught up in what I was doing with my camera that I would miss my children's games. It took me too long to find a good balance between being my kid's #1 fan and being the team photographer.

Good luck and have fun!

I have owned this camera for about a year now. It is a very nice midgrade into the DSLR arena. I too went for the extra lens, 55x250 but I mainly use the default, the 18x55. This is such a great camera for the price. Unless you are making large posters, there is no need for anything else, honestly.

DPReview is a great site to learn more about it on a specific level, as well as seeing samples of pictures taken and uploaded.

Good luck!