• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winchester model 100 recall?

I inherited a Winchester model 100 auto .308 rifle, and since I shoot left handed I sold it to a buddy of mine. I have come to find out that there has been a recall on these for a long time due to a firing pin issue. We now need to find out if my late father dealt with this (doubtful since he was done hunting prior to the recall notice) and where we can get the recall work completed. If there is info on the Winchester site I have not found it. Thanks for any information. The serial number is 92398. My buddy and I live in the Twin Cities.

Crow Hunter

I took mine to Keelers Gunsmithing and he varified for me that It was not done so he installed the new firing pin for me.

i'm sure you could have any gunsmith tell you weather or not your gun has had the update. its a matter of looking at the firing pin.

This is what I found

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is Wisner's rendition & info on the subject.

The difference in the old firing pin and the new one is as follows. The old replaced style, was totally lathe tuned (round). While the new recall style is similar in lathe turning on the front and back, but in the front midsection it has two flats milled, one on each side. This makes the center section stronger. Also replaced is the bolt sleeve lock pin (firing pin guide) which was made to accommodate this different shaped firing pin

Part number for the new parts are, firing pin =1391ND, bolt sleeve locking pin =1491ND

The word was at the time this recall was in process was that if the firing pin would break at the mid section and still remain in the gun as two pieces, the possibility of a premature discharge before the bolt was locked was possible. This apparently was caused by the firing pin tip (now not having a retracting spring) to be stuck forward, and thereby slam-firing the cartridge upon chambering.

The responsibility for the recall apparently was on Olin, as they were the parent company at time of manufacture. Olin set up regional recall centers at three established US gunshops. There was a manufacturing delay in the replacement firing pins, and a backlog occurred, also some collectors did not like the idea of shipping their guns long distances. Olin then also authorized other gunshops to make the required alterations. Upon completion of the recall, the shops were to test fire the firearm and to stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen thru the magazine well with the bolt retracted. The letter “B” represented Bolsa Gunsmithing, “L” was Lefever, and “N” was for Nu-line Guns. The letter “X” apparently was for all the other independent shops. However this identification information did not get communicated to some of the smaller shops at the start of the project. The only way to tell if the gun as been modified, if the ”letter” is not present, is to take the barrel & action out of the stock, remove the trigger guard assembly and the try to rotate the firing pin by twisting it. If it does NOT rotate, then the firing pin recall HAS been performed.

Thanks, Elwood. I just found a phone number for the recall that appears to still be in service, but since it is labor day I just got a recording. I will try them tomorrow. If anyone has other information, please post. Thanks much...

if you have the number keep calling, it will be hard to get through. They ask for the serial number and can verify if has been done. DO NOT fire the rifle until you verify it has been completed, if the pin breaks it sticks out in the firing position and fires the round as it is chambering, basically setting off a amall explosion in your hands and face. There are also 2 other parts that are removed from the trigger group when the pin is replaced, if they stay in there is a good chance the rifle will double fire when you pull the trigger. Once this is done these are safe and nice rifles to shoot. If it need to be done, take it to a gunsmith that is aware of the issues, not just a parts swapper that can change the firing pin.

Thanks for the input. I just got through on the phone line and the gentleman told me the recall was done, in 1991. Smilinbob, is there a way for me to look at the gun and put my mind at ease that this is the case? (I am kind of a trust-but-verify sort of fellow).

Thanks.

The only way to tell if the gun as been modified, if the ”letter” is not present, is to take the barrel & action out of the stock, remove the trigger guard assembly and the try to rotate the firing pin by twisting it. If it does NOT rotate, then the firing pin recall HAS been performed.