• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow Gills

Anyone been getting any gills in shallow water? I usually don't head back to the shallows unit mid Feb. or so. Just wondering if anyone has been finding any shallow bites. You know, the good sight fishing bites. Lots of good weeds still this year. Scott Steil

I was referring to shallow like 5-8 ft of water. There are a lot of lakes that the gills spend the majority of the winter in that 10-14 ft. This depth range is a pretty typical range for weedlines to quit. Of the lakes that I have found to be "going" this year, that 10-14ft range seems to be the best(For active fish). Scott Steil

O.K... then nope.. havn't been on the shallow bite yet.. I too wait for that untill later ice... I usually schedule a trip with my father over to Lake Minnetonka and hit crystal bay.. May we have got some nice gills. We have a few other spots we hit that day also.

Let us know if you find them going shallow!

I have been catching alot of gills the last 3 weeks shallow 7-12ft. I am really surprised that they are this shallow with the lack of snow cover. The key has been to get your holes cut early, in the dark in the location you plan on fishing, then attack them at light. We hit some big bulls shallow on a lake near hackensack last week. I was surprised as normally they stay around 20-24ft this time of the year.

I've been catching them around the same depth as Exudedude, around 12-18 feet. Only perch when I head shallower.

I have noticed something different in the activity of gills this year that is different then previous years though on some of the lakes that I fish. The gills are suspending a lot higher up in the water column then in the past at this time of year. I've caught several gills 3 feet below the ice in 16 feet of water this year. In years past on these lakes when I see fish on the Vexilar suspend off the bottom they are typically crappies, but not this year, most are gills.

Any assuomptions as to why this is? I'm not complaining because the fish are pretty active but just curious. I like to hear other opinions.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I've got a few ideas why these fish may be shallower(in the water coloumb) this year.. #1, snow cover... You would think that this would do the oppisit, but this is keeping the weeds alive longer and o2 levels up in the lakes this year. #2-I dont think there has been as much vehicle travel this year yet. Less noise, less reason for the fish to scatter...

Just a few ideas!

MJ5, Do you fish on lakes that have had melting? With fish holes being open it's possible that the run-off is washing food down the holes, which in turn the fish are up suspended to feed? Maybe it's because the sun, moon, and stars all aliegned, heck we were catching sunnies at 10:30 pm Sunday night.

------------------
Get 'er done

These shallow water gills are a mystery to me could you guyes fill me in somemore. Types of jigs to use and are waxes and euro the best thing to use? Also what weeds are the best to look for, should i be next to reeds or next to, or in, the taller cabbage?
Any input would be nice i have some lakes in mind that i have got bigger gills in the spring and would like find them now.

THANKS

I have heard alot about fishing for bull gills up near the weeds, in cabbage, and in the old reed beds and bull rushes in the winter.

To me it seems like you have to walk on eggshells so the fish don't spook. In my opinion it isn't worth it, but I don't target Gills that often.

Hope it works out for ya if you give it a try.

thanks, Westlin

panfishhunter, my best advise would be to drill a lot of holes... and I do mean a lot.. Usually find a large weed flat. Then start checking each hole. A black portable(i use a frabil XLTwin) works best for sight fishing. The holes where you found a hole in the weeds are usually the best ones. Milfoil, hydrilla, cabbage will all produce gills early in the spring.. just try and find the green stuff!

Your typical baits work for this style fishing.. Genz Worm, Shrimpo's, Marmooska's.. (I do best with Horizontle presentations, they are easier to see from above!)

It also helps to move a lot, if a bite slows in one hole, dont be afraid to move and then re-check that hole a bit later.

Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by Exudedude (edited 01-16-2003).]

I've noticed these findings before the melting occurred. I thought that snow cover and vehicle traffic might play a part.

Anyone experience this type of thing?

Good Fishin, Matt.

I'm with you Exudedude. It certainly makes for faster action though. Whatever is going on has my vote. We're going to have to scout out some more lakes near us and see if we can find some new hot spots. I'll e giving you a ring when I get in the cities.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I think Exudedude summed up the shallow bite pretty well.

As for fish suspending high in the water column. It is pretty common in shallow Iowa lakes, at last ice and when conditions get like they were last week. When warm, well oxygenated water starts flowing back into the lake through open holes in the ice you can bet fish are going to take advantage of it. The reason this is common in Iowa is they have a lot of freezing and thawing of the top layers of ice. Also, a majority of their lakes are shallow and the oxygen levels can get really low during the winter months, thus bringing the fish to the surface. Scott Steil

Scott/ I was cathching gills in 5ft of water 10 days ago, in some good cabbage. I think the cold front this week might have changed it though. The spot I was fishing was southern and there wasnt too much ice there. Sight fishing is a rush watching those gills come in a few feet below you! good luck chasing the bulls!