• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Success with Red Presentations

Have any of you had success with red presentations when all else fails? I often times revert to a red teardrop tipped with red euro larvae for negative fish when nothing else works. I have a few hypothesis' for why this works:

1)Red sybolizes blood and blood is a triggering mechanism for fish. Blood means an injured prey and translation, an easy meal. When fish are negatively feeding they don't want to chase a bait so when a bait is injured it is easily salvagible.

2)Blood worms. Blood worms are in some lakes, the main source of forage for a lot of fish. Blood worms are tiny larvae that bury themselves in the mucky bottom of lakes. These blood worms will sometimes rise off the bottom at night and this is when crappies come in for the kill. A lot of time you will hear of perch that stirr up the bottom causing the blood worms to come out so they can feed. That is why pounding the bottom to create puffs of debris is a preferred technique by many ice fishermen.

3)It could flat out be there color thats working on that given day. Somedays only a certain color works and red could have been that color.

Does anyone elsse have any input on this topic? Thanks.

Good Fishin, Matt.

All I ever use is red hooks.Crappies as well as walleyes.Just came back from fishing for some crappies. My fatherinlaw and I were both using red and caught ten to one to everybody. The only differance was red.The magic lure you be the judge!!!

Good theories MJ5. I just picked up a bunch of new Genz Worms & Fat Boys. The new red glow looks great! I haven't been out yet, but I can't wait to try the new colors, especially the red. Vern

[This message has been edited by vern (edited 12-12-2002).]

wcmnwalleye,

good point referring to the red hooks. I haven't really experiemented with colored hooks as much as I should. I'll have to pick some up and give them a try.

vern,

I also picked up a few of the new red glow fatboys and I would have to agree, they do look nice. Haven't had a chance to use them yet but I plan on it soon. Let me know how you do after you try them out.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I believe fish see more contrast then they do color.

I have found purple to be my best bet on slow Crappies in clear water lakes, and grey to be the ticket on darker water lakes.

PCG

What about horizontal versus vertical? I've have better success in the past using vertical jigs for crappies. Since crappies look up at the bait when they feed I've had better hooking percentages with vertical. Horizontal has worked better for me with perch on the bottom. Also, when I hook minnows through the top dorsil fin vertical jigs seem to present it better. It keeps the minnow more natural.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I can imagine everyone now is going "Oh boy, here we go"

Obviously you have missed my posts ranting and raving over HORIZONTAL jig fishing, and my 100% preference for it.

Flu-flu's, rat finkie's, marabou jig's, terminal ice tackle, and plain hooks with sinkers crimped to them...I fish them as horizontal as they will possibly hang on the line. If I miss a fish I reel up and re-set the angle of the jig.

The point is, the bait is intended to imitate a minnow. How often is a minnow suspended in water in a vertical position?

People fishing next to me have told me this doesn't matter, but have soon believed when the catch rate hits 5 or 6 to 1.

As far as hooking percentages go, summertime Crappies are often so aggressive I find the jig typically inhaled int heir mouths. In the winter, the FL-8 tells me when they have sucked in my lure.

I also tamper with the hook, and bend it to my likings for increased hooking percentages.

PCG

Yes, yes, the jigging spoons. I've used small 1 1/2 inch silver and blue Kastmaster's packed with maggots in the past for crappies in deep holes. Pimples also work. Also will trigger any walleyes or perch in the area too.

I got a kick out of your comment about fishing not catching. Very true.

Have you ever used small swimming lures for crappies? Last year I got into a school of crappies that couldn't resist the 1 1/2 inch silver swimmin rap that I dropped down. I tipped the treble with a few maggots and they went nuts. This would be considered a horizontal presentation. Every thing was fine until a larger fish came by and broke the line. This also worked on Mille Lacs for perch.

Good Fishin, Matt.

What about search lures for crappies? I typically use them for perch but have caught a few crappies on them as well. What do you all think about them?

Good Fishin, Matt.

Search lures eh'? Now we're getting technical. wink.gif

Sometimes the best method might be KISS; Keep it Simple Stupid.

I keep the maggot tipping at a minimum, unless the service is good. wink.gif

PCG

PCG,

I know, I know, but I'm just tryin to get some imput. I'll often times try new techniques when I'm out on the ice. You never know when something new might out produce something else.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I'll add my favorite horizontal jig, the toadie by custom jigs and spins. I have noticed that I catch more panfish of any type with horizontal jigs than with vertical jigs, but I especially noticed a difference with bluegill, who seem to like to just suck it in for a second and then spit it back out. It's much easier for me to get a good hookset with a horizontal jig when they do this. I usually use a size 10 toadie when fishing for gills, and I often catch 10-11 inch crappie using this jig. Even though it is small, I can effectively fish a jig this small down to about 25 feet and it will still maintain a slack line.

Sounds good.

A trick to getting the bull Gills is to keep the very tip of your hook covered with bait.

That's why maggots are a hard fish for Gills because you can't feed them down the hook without them turning into soup. Wax worms are typically better for this because they allow you to thread the worm around the hook, and keep the tip covered. Sometimes, mushing them some triggers more strikes as well.

Something about seeing that tip of the hook that Gills don't like.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-13-2002).]

PCG,

Thanks for the info. I guess that I need to experienment more with horizontal presentations for crappies. I typically try in immitate daphnia and plankton when I fish for crappies during the winter because that is their main source of forage. I've learned from the past that vertical presentations more depict such offerings. I would agree 100% with you on the topic that horizontal portrays minnows but I've had more success catching crappies through the ice using maggots and plankton resembling baits. Although I often times will pull out a toadie or finkee packed with maggots for crappies. Looks like I'm going to go buy some more horizontal jigs this weekend.

Do you find any difference when using a horizontal jig with the hook exposed compared to the hook covered by a piece of plastic or hair? Do you use bait when tipping these plastic jigs?

I've used shrimpo's and ratso's in the past without live bait and caught some fish but I've still caught more using live bait. I've also found that jigs without plactic or hair seem to work a little better too in most cases. What about you guys?

Good Fishin, Matt.

I tip with maggots, typically 2 at a time, using white and red in combo with my jigs. The only time I don't tip with anything is when using "strike" lures like the hook and sinker combo, or the hook and string combo.

I have used maggots on URL while being told it is a strict Minnow lake. I guess it is just trying different things at different times. One trip to URL I caught 3 Crappies on minnows and the remaining 12 of my limit on maggots. The next trip, I caught 0 Crappies on maggots and every Crappie on minnows. You just can't predict it, that's why it's called fishing and not catching.

I am forgetting one of my newest favorite iceing Crappies methods, and thats jigging spoons, which would fall in the vertical category. These I have found to be hot tickets on Bluegills also, and typically result in a far more aggressive pursuit and strike while fishing these lures. These I sometimes tip with a maggot or two, and other times I leave blank. Just depends....

PCG

Yeah, and it's a good thing to do. I just travel light typically and keep with me what I know will work, or might work for that matter. Of course, the old saying goes..."You never know til' you try"

That goes with alot of things...... wink.gif

PCG

MJ5
When you talk about search lures are you talking about a jigging spoon with a 2 to 4 inch piece of mono with a tiny jig attached?
I have a rod rigged with one with me at all times when going after crappies. When the action is hot you can get this rig down to the fish real fast.

LuckyFish,

Yeah, thats it. I've found it to work when fishing crappies on big flats and over large areas. Provides attraction and draws in fish from a distance.

Good Fishin, Matt.

LuckyFish,

Yeah, thats it. I've found it to work when fishing crappies on big flats and over large areas. Provides attraction and draws in fish from a distance.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Matt you brought up a valid point a couple days ago. You mentioned fishing Crappies veritical and Gills horizontal. I subcribe to that theory also (Sometimes). I always use a horizontal presentation when fishing with Wax worms for gills and crappies. However, when I am using live bait (crappie minnows)I prefer a vertical presentation. Atleast with the hook. With a minnow hooked in front of the dorsal fin, the minnow is presented horizontal, which is important, but the hook is vertical. For me, this has been the best presentation for slabs over the years.

For gills, I always fish a horizonal jig and wax worms. Scott steil

After reading all the talk about the glow devils I went and ordered some.
haven't received them yet, but was wondering if ay of you folks have tryed these for gills and / or crappies?
Are these considered a vertical or horizontal jig?
haven't gotten a close enough look yet.
thanks.

P.S. anyone know were to go on Franklin for crappie?
What depth are they usually at?

In the winter are they supended,
or hange tighter towards the bottem.

cant wait to get my vex, LOL

Our local lakes don't produce the numbers of slabs that big lakes like Red do. So, I usually don't use a glow devil while fishing crappies locally. However, on lakes that have large populations of large fish a glow devil will work great. It really worked well on Red Last year. Plus, you have all the bonus walleye.

I do get quite a few crappies on the Glow Devils while fishing for walleye but on a tradional lake it will be a much better lure for walleye. Scott Steil

A few weeks ago I stumbled across some crappies that seemed to only bite on glow red presentations. Just thought I'd add it to the list.

Good Fishin, Matt.