• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Catchers

I read in an earlier post how some people use just a plain hook with a sinker crimped on the shaft of the hook. Can anyone elaborate on that? (Size of hook, split shot, presentation, bait,etc...) I've never heard of that before and I'm interested in learning some new crappie techniques. Thanks!

This basically turns the hook into a lead head jig. You can use different size weights and hooks for different actions. The grey color of the split shot also makes the bait more natural as well. If all you want is a plain hook and minnow but the minnow swims around too much or the hook is too light then you can add then split shot and get the same affects as if you were using a plain hook. Easy and affordable for any fisherman. I reccomend having a lot of plain hooks and different size split shots when you head out onto the ice.

Good Fishin, Matt.

When i hit the lakes people think i am wierd for what i use. LOL oh well! I don't tell people this but, I use a small plain hook, colored sometimes. and i attach it to a 3 or 4 inch peice of line and then put a small blade from a walleye rig on and it works great. Once in awhile i will aim a flash light down the hole and jig the rode. The light reflects off the blade and simulates baitfish flashing. Try it, it works! just my .02 cents

Take a number 8 dark shank hook, and the smallest split shot you have in your pro pack dispenser, and crimp it to the hook so the bottom of the split shot is paralell to the top of the barb part of the hook.

Keep the "jig" as horizontal in presentation as possible, and when the signal of the fish lines up with the signal of your jig, set the hook. Most of the time you will never feel or detect a strike, and your hook set timing has to be pretty accurate, as when they taste the lead they become spooked.

They suck it in out of curiosity more then anything, and I have outfished tear drops, glow jigs, angel eyes, tube jigs....etc tipped with bait time after time with this presentation when the fish simply don't want to bite.

This is more of a darker, semi to stained water presenation. If you are so inclined, paint the sinker purple, and use in clear water conditions.

I never tip this with any sort of bait. I just fish it plain jane. I might be missing out on something at some point, but so far this has worked dynamite for me when other things won't produce.

PCG