• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

brushcutters

spivak

Started working on a 5 acre plot of buckthorn last fall. Using a chainsaw, treating the cut stems, piling the brush. Looking at getting a Stihl brushcutter to avoid all the stooping over. Anybody use brushcutters? Our local dealer has the more powerful trimmers that will convert to a metal blade cutter for up to 600 bucks. The dedicated brushcutters are closer to 1,000. Yikes. Wondering if I'll be happy with intermediate model. Can't find my brochure with the model numbers. Stems mostly 1-3 inches.

Started working on a 5 acre plot of buckthorn last fall. Using a chainsaw, treating the cut stems, piling the brush. Looking at getting a Stihl brushcutter to avoid all the stooping over. Anybody use brushcutters? Our local dealer has the more powerful trimmers that will convert to a metal blade cutter for up to 600 bucks. The dedicated brushcutters are closer to 1,000. Yikes. Wondering if I'll be happy with intermediate model. Can't find my brochure with the model numbers. Stems mostly 1-3 inches.

We have the split booms. I just cleared about 2 acres of Willow shoots that were growing up, blocking a restaurants' deck view from the freeway.

I used the circular blade and it worked fine. You just have to hold the throttle wide open and use it like a Scythe, don't just place the blade against the stem and then hit the throttle. It won't have enough power to get through, it'll just catch.

You can also buy an attachment that looks like a hedge trimmer blade and put on the end. It works well for anything under 2", although it's quite long and gets to be a load on the arms.

I've also used the brushcutter and have liked them alot. I used the Stihl ones with the circular saw style blade and you can cut 1" "trees" fairly easily. Use it just like a weed whip.

If you're buying one, get one with the large arms for control and get the chest harness so your back and shoulders hold the weight of the trimmer and not your arms. Your arms should only have to hold the throttle and steer.

If you think its cost effective to buy one, go for it, but I would consider renting one. Otherwise they are kind of overkill for much else.

I rented one with the blade and it ate through stuff like there was no tomorrow. Of course if I had tried to run in tomorrow I doubt that I could have because my arms wouldn't take it. Rent one for a try and see how far you get. If you do it correctly you won't need one for at least a couple more years so why tie up the bucks and have another thing to store.