• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PCG

Skeets

Hey PCG,
What temp do you think crappies usually spawn at?
How deep of water, usually?

I caught tons of smaller crappies tonight, they were holding in 8-10' just outside the weedline.
I don't think they spawned yet, their bellies were wide yet at the bottom.

Lots-o-fun! grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Skeets (edited 05-31-2002).]

On average, between 62 and 68 degrees is prime for spawning Crappies. Unfavorable conditions could push those numbers down a bit though.

Depth truly depends on water clarity. Rule of thumb:
Murky water 1-3 feet
Stained water 2-4 feet
Clear water 3-8 feet

This depends on habitat available also.

I have seen in one instance, Bluegills, on beds, in 10 feet of water. The water was extremely clear, and the effect of hovering over these beds was like being on the moon.

Hope I answered your questions skeets.

good fishing,

PCG

little crappie trivia....the males and females are together on the nests only for a very short time for the spawning thing..only for a day or so...then the females are off and the males stay behind to protect the offspring....this is a about a week or less...anything that comes by that nest is considered and intruder...so it may be they hit a bait not because of hunger...but because of...protecting the nest...thats the reason for the crappies hitting on leeches during spawning thing ...but then again...i'm not a crappie...maybe it was the only food available and no preferred food(minnows) around...i've also caught crappies on nightcrawlers...but sure wouldn't take night crawlers for a day on the water crappie fishing..also caught em trolling with a daredevil for northerns years ago...but it's still fun catching em ...whatever they happen to be feeding on...jon smile.gif

I got a little story for you guys. Last night after I left my dad was still fishing crappies off my dock. He was just watching the bobber and a crappie was sitting couple feet in front of my dock and all the sudden a 10+ pound northern swam out from underneath my dock (3 feet of water) and grabbed a hold of probably a 10 inch crappie and swam away with only the tail sticking out of its mouth. My dad said it made him jump. This slightly concerns me about swimming in my beach. I just with I could have seen this.

Ely lake expert

Trivia:

Ok...If you watch a Male Crappie on the bed, he will suck in your bait aggressivly, and swim off the bed with it and spit it out.

Most folks would rather catch the fish then let it go like that, but if you put it back in there bed, they will suck it in again.

Infact, I have taken a Crappie off a bed, gotten him half way out of the water and lost him...and then had him suck in my bait a few minutes later after things calm down. That's dedication!

As far as the Pike....Pike love Crappies. I have had more 10 lb plus pike grab onto Crappies I was reeling in then I have on a spinner or sucker minnow.

My spinner baits now look like Crappies...dark green/blue combo skirting seems to work well with a single nickle colored blade.

Anyways, back on the water!

PCG

while cranking in a bluegill........had a northern hit it...pulled in the northern and the bluegill.......goofy northern didn't even have the hook in it's mouth...just wouldn't let go of the bluegill...stubborn i guess..........lol....probably close to 5 pounds.....scenic state park ...sandwic lake....few years back...also had a northern rip a stringer full of walleyes off the side of my boat....grabbed the stringer and thrashed back in forth....had to litterally pull the stringer out of the northerns mouth......that was a bigger northern .about ten pounds....also had a northern hit the end of my canoe paddle as i was paddling up in sandpoint lake..voyageurs park a few years ago....enough northern talk .....back to crappies..........lol......jon smile.gif

This is why this time of year offers some of the best Crappie fishing there is. The fish are easy to find and easy to catch. Just remember to put some back for others to enjoy!ScottS