• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chesapeake's Don't forget!

Darrell Larson

The Grand Kiddies were up this past weekend, they threw out a volley ball to big for the Chessie to latch on to, she kept trying and my son had to finally call her back, she kept pushing it with her snout, with the weekend boat traffic good on his part. I live on Lake Vermilion which is a very large body of water. The hound dog and I were out in the yard on Tuesday she disappears, which is not uncommon during the week all the weekenders are gone, after a period of time here she comes with the ball. I have no idea where she found it but,kudos to her and her breed, they are fantastic dogs and good friends.

Interesting story. When the black Lab I have now was about 3-mos a relative tossed her a volley ball. It got into the lake and somebody tossed it up and it landed in deep rushes....you could not see it. Every now and then Annie would go down there an look out at the lake. A month and a half or more later she plunged in one day, after she had weeks of training under her belt, and showed up on the deck with that ball! We had forgotten about it!!

She has proven to be the same way in the field-she will not quit until she finds that bird. A dandy, dandy dog; one of the best we've had.

Life just ain't the same without a dog is it?

Ha Ha Ha! Got nothing against Chessies. They're just too smart for a guy like me. Been around 'em some. I give a command...they look and sorta yawn, scratch their arse and look at me. I beg...they snicker. I scream and holler....they watch a bird flying by.

We had one years and years ago. Good old dog but way too smart for all of us. Too smart to learn anything WE wanted it to do. Ha!

I have had Lab's and Chessies prior, they are all good. Our current Chessie is the social butterfly of the neighborhood. Everyone likes her, when the weekenders show up she will make a call on them to be certain they belong.

She is a fantastic upland bird dog, sadly I do not duck hunt any longer, but she was born to swim, nice living on the lake for her. You all have a safe upcoming hunting season. Later Darrell.