• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on Mercury Motor issue

pikeguy2003

While out this past weekend motor started acting up. When you shift it into forward it works just fine at idle speed. However when you push the throttle forward it feels like it slips into neutral and the motor revs up. It is a 50HP Mercury. I am guessing it is a 1980 motor. I live in Excelsior and was wondering if anyone might have a clue as to what the problem might be? Also, if anyone has any recommendations on where to possibly take it to get repaired? I have heard that a lot of dealers don't want to work on motors that are 30 years old? After looking around, it appears that buying a new boat in a package type format would be the way to go versus buying a new motor to put on my existing boat. Seems like they charge a premium for a stand alone motor? Thank, Pikeguy

I have an 80's mercury as well. {Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you}

I have diagnosed a lot of problems with my motor here, it can at least point you in the right direction as where to begin looking. As far as repair on a motor of that age I have taken mine to Pro-Tec Marine in Albertville. Not exactly close to Excelsior, but they do good work.

+ 1 on the spun hub.

Remove the prop. On the forward facing side of the prop, You can put a mark on the prop and on the splined part of the hub. Re install, run and remove. Check to see if the marks still line up.

Thanks for the advice. I had never heard of the term, "spun hub" before this, and that is what it looks like. Luckily I have the original prop that was rebuilt from years back that I should be able to just put on, and it should be good to go. I guess I will take the bad one in and have it rebuilt so I will have a good back up. Note to admin: Sorry about requesting a referral. It is just frustrating to me that dealers don't want to work on old stuff and want to sell you a whole new package deal with the option to finance a new boat for 10 years. I have learned a lot in the past couple of days, and that if I am willing to get outside the metro area into greater minnesota that there are plenty of places that would be willing to work on my 31 year old motor. Thanks to everyone for their advice and helping me diagnose a spun prop. It is truly appreciated.

I just had a bunch of work done on my 1984 mercury 75 HP from someone in Elk River, he is very knowlegeable, honest, and always seems to be busy which is a good sign to me. i was charged $900 for tune up, stator, switch box, impeller, fuel hose assembly, $350 for labor & 515 for parts.

Thanks again for the tips. I just did my very first boat motor repair and was out pulling my 6 year old tubing on Friday night. Took both girls tubing on Saturday afternoon and when we were done with that broke out a couple of trolling rods. My girls caught three bass and two northerns. Didn't keep any but it was cool to see my 11 year old catch her first northern. Her 5 year old sister caught her first northern two fridays ago. Kind of funny how the older one never wanted to go fishing for northerns until her little sister caught one. Hard to believe that girls can be that competitive? I'm just sayin?