• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spray weeds now???

Huskie

I've noticed an awful lot of weeds in my yard this year maybe due to the great amount of rain leaching out the app. of weed and feed put on this spring. Can you spray the yard for weeds this time of year with the warm weather? Or will you do more harm than good? Also, what summertime fertilizer is the best to apply.

I've noticed an awful lot of weeds in my yard this year maybe due to the great amount of rain leaching out the app. of weed and feed put on this spring. Can you spray the yard for weeds this time of year with the warm weather? Or will you do more harm than good? Also, what summertime fertilizer is the best to apply.

Spray away! Get a broad leaf weed killer. Shouldn't hurt your lawn at all. just follow the mixing instructions.

I spot sprayed my weeds with trimec the other day, the weeds were definitly wilting a day to two days later, and then it rained, and then I mowed, and then it rained again, so I will see if they come back. No damaged appeared to my lawn.

A weed and feed can't "leach out" because it doesn't stay in the soil and keep working. The rain would be more to blame if it rained shortly after the application. Usually once an herbicide has dried on the plant it will do its job.

The only product that works like that would the preemergent treatment for crabgrass. Otherwise a regular broadleaf herbicide works by landing on the foilage and being absorbed.

This time of year is not ideal for using a herbicide, but if applied properly it will work on some weeds. Tough to control weeds like creeping charlie and violets, some clover and a few others will resist the treatment mostly because their leaves develop a tough cuticle layer to prevent moisture loss through evaporation. You shouldn't cause any harm to your lawn. Try to avoid very hot days, most herbicides evaporate easily when over 85 degrees.