• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody been to Maui

Hey shooters,

Anyone here ever been to Maui? DBL, you probably have right? We are staying at a resort in Ka'anapali for our honeymoon in late October. We are planning to do a dolphin watch tour with the Pacific Whale Foundation, an easy walk to the Iao Needle, and a Road to Hana tour. Also plan to hit the fish market and farmers market to get some fresh fare. Anyone have any recommendations on things to do and places to eat? I want to relax and enjoy the honeymoon and all that goes with it, but we also want to get out and have some fun. I'd love to find some places that aren't quite as touristy and more of a local hangout but it might be hard to find something like that online cause they don't want to blow the cover.

I'd love to do one of the more advanced hikes, but don't know if the mrs will be up for it. She doesn't want to do anything that will make us sore for two days while we are there, and I suppose she has a point. Any other easy hikes anyone has been on?

Thanks,

Tom

You have to go up and see the volcano. We were there a few years ago the only thing i did not like was the wind blows everyday. We rented a jeep ragtop, worse thing to do, as the wind blowing through it, you could not talk to each other. It is a beautiful place, have a great time, check out the pineapple plantations and get a spam hamburger at McDonalds.

We've been there a few times and usually stay in Kihei, so I don't know the Kaanapali area very well.

Plan to spend some time in Lahaina, it's one of the original villages on the island and has lots of whaling history and some good little burger joints (I think there's one called Cheeseburger in Paradise that was great a few years ago)

There's a great fish restaurant in the Paia area called Mama's Fish House. The beaches near there feature lots of kite-surfing.

On the other side of the island I would recommend you drive down to the Ahihi Kinau Natural Reserve - easy walks thru the lava field to oceans edge. And we had the BEST fish tacos I've *ever* tasted from the back of an old van down that way!

Sunrise at Haleakala is magnificent - but you have to get up @ 4 AM to catch a bus/van, and it's cold! But you're above the clouds and it is spectacular! One year we did the bike ride back down after sunrise and that was fun - it wasn't that tough if you're in reasonably decent shape, our kids were 10-15 Years old and they did it too.

Seems like there was a good fish place in Ma'alaea Harbor too. We enjoyed a catamaran trip to Molokini Shoal, another nature reserve area. There are snorkeling trips out there as well.

Iao Valley and Hana are wonderful too - be sure to do them.

One of the wonderful things about Maui is that all the beaches are public and you can get to some beautiful, quiet spots by taking the "access" walks between the resorts - they are pretty well marked.

To get to some really nice "local" spots, drive!! (I'm pretty sure we drove in a few spots that were not "legal" in our rental car contract, but oh well....)

So, that's my 2 cents - I do love Maui and can't wait to go back! Enjoy your trip & please share a picture of two?!

Pick up " the island guide" it is loaded with free things, many discounts etc, We rented snorkel gear for 9.99 a week ( because of the guide) from Boss frogs, with that we got a free catamaran trip to another island and then snorkeled for 4 hours with 400 feet of water clarity, had a whale swim under the cat and then breech 1/2 way out of the water right on the other side, many people got wet. Snorkel the many many beach's. bring the camera everywhere, but always remember, relax you are no on Maui time ( you will understand that when you get there) lol

We have been there several times. We typically stay at a place that has gas grills outside, we buy food at Safeway and grill our own meals, restaraunts are plenty expensive. We usually go up to the blowhole up the shore from Kaanapali, you will find it in the guide books, it is a short hike but pretty neat. If you take the tour to Hana you will probably stop at the surf spot by Paia, fun to watch those guys. Have fun!

Sorry Tom, I've been to 49 of the 50 states but Hawaii is the one that is not on my map! Hope to very soon though! Looks like you got a lot of good advice I hope you enjoy the trip!

Thanks for all the tips guys and gals. Jeff, we are planning to rent a compact to intermediate level car. We were considering a convertible, but from your post and others it sounds like the wind is usually roaring, so a hard top will be more comfy. The pineapple plantations sound like fun.

DOTB, Cheeseburgers in Paradise is on our list of must eats. My fiance has been to Maui before with her family and had an excellent meal there. Good enough to demand we go there together. We are morning people so the sunrise at Haleakala might be doable. I have looked at some stuff about it online and from what I can find, it is remarkable.

Macho, where do you go about getting "The Island Guide"? Sounds like a good thing to read up on and find some deals and steals. When we were in Alaska, Denise missed the most spectacular humpback whale jumping out of the water. Potty break. She was bummed. Unfortunately we will be there right before the big migration starts so we will likely not see the whales, but we do plan to do some dolphin watching.

Crow, I want to go to the blowhole, but Denise isn't so sure she wants to go there. I will have to try to convince her.

Dan the travel man hasn't been to Hawaii? The one and only state huh. I am sure you will make it there sooner or later right? I have been to several, but not nearly as many as you. One of my life goals is to visit all of them though. I have a pretty good start for going on 30. Right now missing Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Oregon, Hawaii, North and South Carolina, Maryland, Rhode Island, and West Virginia. I think I will make it happen.