• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

minkota 12 volt vs 24 volt

kerryd15

Hi i have a 12 volt 65 pound thrust powerdrive. Besides duration or length of time at high speed would i gain anything going to a 24 volt system. how fast should a 65 pound thrust troling motor be able to pull a 16ft deep vee in calm conditions? Reason i ask is I thought I should be able to get 2MPH but can't. Wondering if its in the wiring or the motor or if that is all the better to expect.

I couldn't tell you how fasht yours should go. But I have a 70 lbs 24V PD on my 16' smoker craft magnum with console, and that moves my boat @ about 3.5 mph. It is wired with either 6 gauge or 8 guage wire, can't remember which.

You should be able to go faster than 2mph so it sounds to me like you have a problem with you motor or your battery. I would start with getting the battery load tested. You can bring it to any battery shop and they'll do it for free.

As far as the 12v vs 24v. 65lbs of thrust is 65 lbs of thrust regardless of how many volts is powering it so I wouldn't let that factor in to your trouble shooting.

hmmmmmmm I thought once you went above 55lb thrust it should be a 24 volt system........ with a 65lb thrust I think you should be able to move your boat pretty good...like mentioned I would check your battery power and maybe even your wire to c what gauge

I figured it out. I bought the boat last summer with the trolling motor, everything was wired up and worked. had a friend stop by with a 24 volt trolling motor and said that it pulled his boat 4-5MPH. That got me thinking because his is a 24 and i knew mine is wired 12volt. So i called minkota and sure enough they never made a powerdrive 12volt and on the top of mine in little bity print is says 24v. Minkota said that i did not hurt the motor at all running it on 12 volt but i will have a lot more power with 24. Wish i would of thought of that last yr.

Thanks for your time. and patience.