• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mooring whips or Stowaway Holdaway

ib_jigged

Anyone have any experience with either of these systems? I have a new boat and in the past have had my old boat sit at the dock at the campgorund during the weekend. I would like to eliminate the chances of dock rash to protect my new boat. I have a few fenders already and also some cushions that slip over the posts of the dock, but want to know if it is best to hold it awat from the dock.

Thanks

I have no experience with either but sure wish they were around when my boat was new. I used boat bumpers and they totally ruined my decals and I said from now on I would rather beach my boat and take my chances than leave at at a dock.

If you know the weather is going to get nasty you should go ahead and jerk your boat. The next day the fishing is going to be slow so there is no hurry to get your boat back in the water.

I usually pull the boat out when the weather is nasty, but I like the idea of not rubbing on any fenders or bouys when at the dock. I am not sure which ones to try. The Holdaways are about $100 less than the whips.

I use mooring whips with my 19ft Lund Pro V. It took me a little while to trust them but they work great. I wasn't aware that they had portable whips, mine are mounted to the dock with three bolts for each whip. Once the wind gets up above 25 MPH directly towards the boat, they aren't as effective but the boat/dock bumpers have kept disaster at bay. I'll see if I can find some pics if you're interested.

I made my own very similar to the stowaway system - which I've never seen until this post. It's actually how we moored boats in CA - side bumpers aren't as effective because the water level changes with the tide. Basically it consists of PVC pipe with line running through it, two end caps and an additional line running out the side which controls the side to side movement. Mine are not adjustable but I pretty much use them only on my own dock but have used them at the resort we stay at each year with no problems. Can post pics if interested - can't remember the total cost but probably less than $20 total for both stand-offs. Time investment, maybe an hour. Good Luck, Paul

Here are some pics - this is with the wind blowing in directly from the side. That being said, I am in a pretty sheltered part of the lake so I don't see really big waves. For reference, boat is an Alumacraft Trophy 185 so pretty good size. Also, I leave these on the dock so all I do is undo the loops on the cleat on the boat and go. They are actually pretty simple to make - if any questions, please let me know.

full-20734-8992-dscn7952.jpg

full-20734-8993-dscn7953.jpg

full-20734-8994-dscn7954.jpg

full-20734-8995-dscn7955.jpg

Thanks for the photos! Looks great! I will be picking up the materials tonight to build a pair. I would bet after the other guys at the lake see them this weekend, I will be building some more.

Glad I could help. Only further recommendation I would make is if I were in a spot that is more exposed I would probably mount the PVC poles to a dock post or at the minimum through-bolt the dock cleats or more probably a heavy duty eye-bolt. My cleats are just mounted with 2 1/2" wood screws into the dock deck + stringer. It's good enough for where I am at because as I said I really don't see big waves. This system will work in harsher conditions than I see at my dock and I have been keeping my boat this way for the 3 years I have lived on Prior without any issues. If any other questions, let me know. Later, Paul.

Can I ask how long your are? Looks to be about 18" to 24"? I think when I make mine, I may put a tennis ball on the boat end to help with rubbing on the gunwale. 1-1/2" or 2" pvc?

I did already order the Stowaways, supposed to be here tomorrow. I will look them over, make my own and send them back.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for the delay in posting - was off-line last night. Front is 27", rear is 22". Pipe diameter is 1 1/2". All line was "shock absorbing" dock line to allow for some stretch. Good idea on the tennis ball, I have not had any signs of rubbing but again I am not in a really wavy part of the lake. If anything else, let me know. Good Luck, Paul

I tell you what, I just got the stowaways that I ordered from the big O and I will make my own and send these back.

For $52 each, they are made out of the same PVC pipe as I will use, and you can just use a threaded compression fitting (all they did) to make them adjustable if you want. My boat sits at the same dock all summer on the weekends, so I don't need to worry about adjusting them. I will just make them 18"-20" long and be set.

I piece of 1-1/2" PVC 4' long, 4 caps, drill some holes and add some dock line (already have 150' of that laying around), 2 tennis balls, some PVC glue, and some cleats, and I am all set.

Thanks Ptocko for the photos and the info! I am sure there will be many that will use this set-up now!

You bet ib - feel kind of bad for stowaway. Seriously have never seen them until this post. If you spend any time out in Newport Harbor, CA you will see this "system" all over and I know for a fact its "homemade" as we all pretty much made our own based on what others were already doing. I'm sure they'll work out for you, they're very simple to make as you've already figured out. Good luck and have a great Memorial Day weekend. Paul

Excellent job! Only advantage I see to the purchased model is the ability to adjust the length. I'm going to make some too and will just make them a little long to cover the fact that they won't adjust.

Just be aware that the longer they are the further the boat will sit from the dock. Not a problem, just be aware. The way I have mine set-up, I get on the boat and undo the "stand-offs" from the cleats on the boat and go. Because of this, I want mine to hold the boat within stepping distance of the dock - about 1 1/2 feet or so. Now I have the advantage of it being my dock so I can raise and lower, place the cleats and otherwise control the variables so that my boat is always where I want it to be. If I were building it mainly for use elsewhere I might go a touch longer but not much, maybe 3-5" is all - the shorter your boat the longer you will want to go. Most docks use 8' sections so your post to post spacing is going to be variables of 8 feet (if you use the dock poles to support your stand-offs). What I have found more often when using my poles on another dock is I have to tie additional line to the lines that come off the side, usually because I have to use the adjacent dock posts because the cleats aren't in a good spot. Hope this helps, if any questions, let me know. Paul

I was able to find the compression fitting last night, but after looking more closely at this set-up, I will make mine one solid piece. The adjustable may work itself loose over time and then would be working itself back and forth. Total adustment on the ones I bought and sent back is only about 5" anyway, not all that muc when you think about it.

I went with 1-1/2" PVC and I cut 2 tennis balls with a hole just slightly larger than the cap and it will fit over the cap. I will wait until tomorrow when I am at the lake to finish the rest, as my dock line is in my boat.

I am about the 5th boat away from the end of the dock and I do not see waves all that big, so this system should work out just fine.

Well, I made them and tried them over the last weekend. I went with them 15" long and had no issues and the boat did not touch the dock the entire weekend. We had winds of about 10-15mph on Saturday and no problems at all.

What great way to dock the boat!

So far so good. I have been using this set up for over a month now and my boat has not even come into contact with the dock at all, when tied up this way.

I used just regular dock line and not the stretching stuff.

Could not be happier with a about $20 into the whole deal!