• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Milky white gear oil !! Help!

JimmyJames

I had my impeller replaced a couple weeks ago on my 40hp Johnson, noticed tonight a small puddle of milky white gear oil on garage floor. Removed plug and oil is white. Is it possible or even probable that mechanic who replaced impeller caused this? He said no way, but isn't the shift shaft seal in area he was working?

Very doubtful, he wouldn't have needed to touch any of the seals to change the impeller.

Best thing to do is get the lower unit pressure tested to see where its coming in and go from there. If it does turn out to be one of the seals around the H2O pump then you may have an argument. But more than likely its the seal around the prop shaft or a bad seal on the drain/vent plugs.

Where does the oil look to be coming from?

That's the route I'm going , I'm having all seals in lower unit replaced. Almost every mechanic I talked to said it wasn't caused by guy who replaced impeller. I hope not, I just know I need my boat back. What a bad time a year for this to happen.