• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boyd's first fishing trip

CC Hurl

Our first trip out chasing Cat Fish was a memorable one for sure. Fished for an hour or so on a real high Mississipi River. Boyd had to go pee so I stoped at an Island and let him go. Put him in the boat to leave and went to grab the anchor off shore, heard Boyd whimpering and gaging only to find he has swallowed my chicken Liver and hook. My jaw hit the ground and I just freaked out. I stuck my finger way down his throat and could not feel the hook. Not a little hook either.

I can't ever remember getting off that river so fast and off to the Vet we went. Our Vet opened shop at 10:00 pm for me and did surgery to remove it and Boyd is doing fine now. Seems like he didn't skip a beat. Total bill 1300.00 spent on Friday the 13th. The X-ray will be framed, the hook placed in the glass and it will hang in my fish shack as a memory of our first fishing trip together. He is an awsome Dog and we will have many more better memories together. Just thought I would share my Friday the 13th trip with Boyd.

Glad it worked out in the end...

One of the many reasons I don't take dogs fishing. I know it works out for many guys, and they may feel the 'companionship' is worth it, but I much prefer the $1300.00 in my pocket, than my dog in my boat.

Know of a guy who caught his dog on the back cast of a big muskie lure... same thing tore up his face. Stitches were like $700 and he just missed an eye by a fraction of an inch. He had is dog lying down, but figured he got excited by the size of the lure back cast coming by him and must have thought it was a toy...

Seen a dog a couple of years back on Cass, take off after a muskie lure when it was casted. the guy was freaking out as the dog was closing the gap on the top water lure as he was trying to reel it in and away from the dog. His buddy just barely got the boat started and raced off so the lure got out of reach as he finished reeling it in and then proceeded to drive back and get the dog.... suppose he thought it was a training dummy... who knows... I know 3 big treble hooks would've tore up that dogs mouth...

I will admit to taking one out once with me walleye fishing. Figured it couldn't get in much trouble as I was just jigging. Had her lying up front and all was well until I hooked into a decent fish... maybe 4 pounds. Got it in the boat and was trying to get it out of the net and it came unhooked and was flopping on the floor. I was getting rod and line and net out of the way to get the fish and she decided she had to see what this thing was flopping around, got tangled in my line, draaging a rod and a net, I'm trying to put the fish back, she had the jig in the top of her foot, but just barely. I got her back up front and slowly fished my way back home... that was thend of my 'dog' fishing days.

My buddy was fishing on Mille Lacs once and the dog was gettin antsy... he finally figured it had to go to the bathroom. He said he didn't make it a 1/4 mile and the explosive diahreeha went all over the boat... end of day of fishing...

Not to be a debby downer... just giving the things you can run into... if you decide to continue to take Boyd, keep an eye on him and really work on the obedience... hope it all works out...

Good Luck!

Ken

Lol, Them are some good stories and you have me thinking for sure. I will try again as I want him fishing with me once in awhile. Maybe things will be better in the Ice shack. Lol For me I see it as a lesson to keep all hooks and bait out side the boat, watch him close and as you said Ken, Obedience. Trips will have to be with just him and I. Now if he chases bobbers and lures... Then that could be a show stopper. Send diahreeha flying thru the boat and sending me home early, Uh... his fishing days are over in the boat. Lol Hope these stories can help others in them early days of owning an energetic dog. Oh... and saving 1300.00. I got off cheap too as our Vet opened up at 10:00PM to due surgery. Was at Coon Rapids emergency Vet clinic and there estimate was 2800.00. Long story short our Vet was awsome and said bring him back to Zimmerman so he is back here were you live. And said 1000.00 for surgery. The other 300.00 was for the office visit and X-rays they took of Boyd at Coon Rapids. Crazy evening indeed. Going to Winni for three days this weekend and guess who is staying home? Lol Take care and thanks for your time.

Glad it worked out OK. Ice fishing isn't all that safe either. My dog ended up jumping over my auger while I was carrying it drilling holes. Blade caught his leg and tore it down really deep from above his knee to the ankle...luckily had the truck on the ice and a friend with..but still 45 plus minutes to the closest vet with him bleeding on my lap and $800 later he ended up being alright. Will definitely take precautions to not let that happen again. Cover will be on unless the blades are in the ice.

Ouch. There can definitely be some extra hazards when taking a dog fishing.

That said, obviously more attention is paid to the "when something went wrong" stories than the many uneventful outings enjoyed in the boat with a dog.

I've frequently taken my current Lab and previous Lab in the boat with me and never had an issue, so I will continue to do so. No exposed hooks other than the end of my line and a little situational awareness have done the trick! I will admit I usually just bring him if I'm the only one in the boat...

I will keep the ice auger story in the memory bank for sure. Was up on Winni the last few days and seen many dogs out too. Sure made me want to have Boyd out there with me. Got home yesterday and he was so happy to see me. Was a good feeling and he is doing awsome. Getting big. Lol

Thanks to everyone for your input here as I have learned about other things to watch for when in the outdoors having fun with the new pup.

Good luck in all you do and thanks for your time.