• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Voles AAAGGHHH!

Burbot

Voles not Moles, I have tried: Baited tin cats with Granny Smith apples,Gum drops, Peanut butter, fruit snacks. I have placed Mouse traps in the runs, and yes I did try the Poison Alfalfa pellets. I have plenty of dead grass in the runs no dead bodies of the vermin (well a couple that is why I know they are Voles, again not moles). Any body have the magic cure for erradication? Also I have the ferrel cat hangng around; that load only preys on the Gold Finch I feed, needless to say the Ferrel cat is no longer with us.

Have you found the den area? IF so, place a mouse trap on either sid of the hole. I like the wooden ones and place a nial throught the trap and tap into ground. The nail prevents the trap fron jumping when it's sprung. Then place a piece of gutter or something with the top side removed. Place this over the 2 traps and it forces the vole to get caught by the trap.

I think I have these darn things too. First time this year that I have noticed the yard all chewed up after the snow melted.

Also, my 3 year old flowering crabs got the bark eaten right off the trunks and the branches over the winter. I didn't see any rabbits all winter so could it be that the voles are doing this damage as well by burrowing through the snow banks to the trees? The trees budded out so I think they will live but it can't be good for them.

Vole repellent? Could you give me a brand, again not Moles; these are voles (vegetarian, furoughs in the grass,fat body short tail). I did try the gutter with traps, so far I have caught a toad.

I think Sweeney's was the name, got it at HD in the pest repellent section. Its actually combo mole/vole/gopher repellent. It was a granual you spread like fertilizer, but I think they have a spray you can use with your hose.

Dr Fish, I have a hunting dog that goes after any critter that goes in our yard and it didn't matter one bit.

Vole repellent? Could you give me a brand, again not Moles; these are voles (vegetarian, furoughs in the grass,fat body short tail). I did try the gutter with traps, so far I have caught a toad.

Too funny. I have also used live traps with PB as bait. Used these in the garden where the rhubarb leaves covered the trap and caught him within 3-4 hours the first night I set it out.

My wife went to a fruit tree conference and the issue of voles girdling the trunks came up--green apple bubblegum tape was the answer given. It had to be the tape that comes in a plastic hockey puck thing. The voles ingest it and die of bound bowels. If it works that sure is generating some bad karma.