• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Controlling Paper Wasps

BobT

Every year we have the same problem....paper wasps. They like to build their nests under the eaves of our home. Most of them are too high up to be a problem but some of the nests end up on lower areas where they pose a threat. My daughter is deathly allergic to bee stings and although we are pretty sure a wasp sting won't be a problem for her aside from the pain, we don't really know for sure. At any rate she is not comfortable on our deck when they are around and for good reason.

I don't want to have to kill them as I know there is a shortage of bees and wasps but I was hoping someone had an idea of how I might be able to repel them from hanging around the house.

Thanks,

Bob, I don't know of any repellant. Paper wasps do pollinate plants, but my wife also is allergic to bee/wasp venom, and when we see a nest being built, we kill them. Period. Simple matter of priorities.

Now, if someone on these forums knows an effective wasp repellent, I'm all ears. We're not into killing just for the sake of killing.

Killing them is what I've been forced to do just to reduce the risk to her but I don't like doing it. I concentrate on those that are hanging around our deck and front door.

I'm hoping someone has some spray or other remedy that I could use to repel them.

Know of nothing to repel them Bob. Paper wasps are not particularly important for pollination of important plants or crops I'm aware of. They consume some nectar and may bumble into pollinating something as a result but are not designed to carry or eat pollen like honeybees or bumblebees do. Paper wasps do however consume flies, some beetle larvae and caterpillars such as tomato hornworms so they do serve as a predator or beneficial insect in that respect. Given your daughter's situation though, I think it's OK that you control the occasional nest that has the potential to put her in harm's way. If your farm place is like mine, there are plenty of other places they can hang out without stinging us.