• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

99 Alumacraft livewell

grapeape

I have a 99 Alumacraft Tourney Pro and the aft livewell seems to empty out. The previous (original) owner told me that the cable and pull handle had already been changed out.

I received no owner's manuals with this boat and really have no idea as to how the cables/livewells close off. It's almost as if the handle does not fully close off how it should when it is pushed in (pull to empty).

First off, can someone explain briefly how the livewells are closed off and secondly, a recommended fix.

I have looked through the access cover, which is not much access, and can not tell how things are supposed to work.

I am a bit perplexed and would appreciate any insight.

If I am not mistaken, our 97 alumacraft is pull to close, push to empty.

To get at the back, you need to take the whole livewell out. We had to take ours apart last winter (year ago) to have easier access to swap out aerator and bilge and fix a couple recirc. fittings. It isn't that hard, but enough that I don't want to do it again wink If I recall, there is a wire that connects to a sliding round disc that slides like a plate to close the drain off. But don't quote me, I am just trying to remember, and my brain is old smile I remember thinking that it connects much like a throttle on a plain jane lawnmower, to the carb. Just a bent wire going through a hole.

In all honesty, what I would do it get it to stay open and use an old fashioned plug in bottom of livewell... That is what we have ready for when ours might stop working, but so far so good.

Also, we plugged off and made our front linvewell as water proof as possbile for (almost) dry storage. That rear livewell is big enough for any fish, and not sure when they swithced buckets, but our 97 bait buckets were quite shallow, and the new ones you can buy are deeper and work better for keeping bait lower in more water. Good luck!