• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Lab to shed hunt

CC Hurl

Hi folks, I am going to try here as the bow hunting forum seems slow to respond to this topic. I now am a owner of a Black Lab that I would like to train as a shed (antler) hunter. Other than that he will be my fishing buddy and I will do what I can to give him a good life. My question is... Does anyone have any good tips on how to go about this training and is there any good reads out there on this topic? I have read most things on Yahoo and it has given me a place to start but it would be nice to hear from someone who has maybe done some of this training or knows someone. Thanks for your time.

Hi folks, I am going to try here as the bow hunting forum seems slow to respond to this topic. I now am a owner of a Black Lab that I would like to train as a shed (antler) hunter. Other than that he will be my fishing buddy and I will do what I can to give him a good life. My question is... Does anyone have any good tips on how to go about this training and is there any good reads out there on this topic? I have read most things on Yahoo and it has given me a place to start but it would be nice to hear from someone who has maybe done some of this training or knows someone. Thanks for your time.

There is a book out there called shed hunting. its a good easy read and brushes up on it a little bit. Basically from what I read you just let your dog play with an antler, the rest comes natural. They are use to it being a game that they just go out and find other antlers?

Thanks I will look into the book you mention here. I have had him for almost two weeks now and he just turned 7 weeks. At this point he has one toy that I use when playing with him. The other toys he has are three different sized sheds. Spike,3 point and an 8 point. Last night I was able to get him to fetch and bring back the spike two different times. Only about ten feet away but he did it. When I play with the regular toy I give him alot of ata boy's when he does good. Now when we play with the antlers and he does good I give him a treat. Just something I read and it seems to be working some. Little early to tell but I think he will put it together. Thanks again for the reply.

I've never trained a dog to be a shed hunter, no idea where to look for a true training regimen for this, but I would think it would mirror the training they use for drug sniffing canines.

You will need to condition him to understand that finding whatever object it is you want him to find, brings about a high level of positive re-inforcements and replacing the object he has found with something he sees as 'his' prized possession. some of them have a rubber ball, some have a teddy bear, some a Kong toy etc.

Myself, I would think starting some of it with treats may be exceptable, but I would quickly move that into a lot of praise (he does want to please you) and switching the object (in this case antlers, which holds no use for him) to his desired object (toy) which does hold use to him.

Start out playing with him with the antler, when you take it form him replace with a treat or 'his' toy. Don't let him chew on them or make them 'his' possession, the same as a duck is not a Labs possession, it is his Master's. His toy will only be used later on when doing his sniffing work. It is not an everyday toy. Once you have him bringing the antlers to you consistantly, hide them in plain site in your living room. Have him go out and get it and bring it back... replace with toy and shower him with praise. Now the fun begins hide it under a table, chair, couch, behind a plant, let him find it on his own and when he does, praise him and give him his toy. Now move the training outside, start in small areas and repeat the above. Increase the difficulty of finding it, and gradually move to using antlers that are not full of his or your scent. You will need to wear rubber gloves hiding those. Then once his profficiency to find those are there, take him on walks in areas where you think he will find antlers and when he does... PRAISE and TOY. Repeat often and then post pics here!

Good Luck!

Ken

I also have a black lab that is a little over a yr. Although I never taught him to Hunt for sheds, I gave him a couple small ones to chew on and play with when he was younger. I really only gave it to him in hopes if he stumbled upon one he'd pick it up and bring it back and because they are good for adogs with all th Ca thats in them. They make great chew toys and last longer than most bones.. He's found 2 sheds so far just from around my house . I've thought of trainging him for shed hunting but decided it isn't worth the risk of ruining upland hunting. I've read mixed things of it and some peoiple say it can mess with your dog in the field but im not sure if its true . Most people say training with treats is the best way to go. I'd just throw a couple sheds in the yard every day and when he gets them brgive him a treat and let him chew it for a while...Then move to the woods and eventually other areas. I know they sell stuff that gets human scent off the antler becuase they'll figure out thats the smell to look for.. Hope that gives you a little something to think about.

Thanks for the tips you guys. They will help indeed. Jake I understand what you are saying about the bird hunting issue being effected by shed training. I am not a bird hunter so my only purpose will be shed hunting and doing alot of fishing with him. Training will be fun and when it's Bow season he can stay home with the family. They will keep him busy too. Lol Thanks again for all the good info.